|From||Jan Keller <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date||Mon, 20 Apr 2020 20:20:38 +0200|
|The Meteorology Section of the Institute for Geosciences at the University of Bonn invites applications for a fixed-term 2,5-year position in the Hans-Ertel-Centre for Weather Research (HErZ) research area “Climate Monitoring and Diagnostics” as a|
Research Scientist (PostDoc, 100% E13 TV-L)
Within the current 4-year funding period of the Hans-Ertel-Centre, the possibility of a post-processed reanalysis data set (i.e., surface reanalysis) will be explored. Therefore, a post-processing data assimilation system will be developed and applied to existing high-resolution regional reanalysis data (especially the COSMO reanalyses formerly developed in our group) with observations not previously assimilated. The position is based at the Institute of Geosciences at the University of Bonn (Germany) within the Climate Monitoring and Diagnostics group of the Hans-Ertel-Centre for Weather Research. We are looking to fill the position as soon as possible as it has a fixed end date corresponding to the end of our current funding period at 31 December 2022.
- Implement the planned data assimilation post-processing system on DWD’s or ECMWF’s high-performance computing facilities.
- Setup and conduct experiments and evaluate the system’s performance to identify its potential benefit especially for DWD’s future climate monitoring purposes.
- Collaborate closely with other members of the “Climate Monitoring and Diagnostics” group in Bonn and Cologne especially regarding the aspect of renewable energy.
- Present research results at scientific conferences or workshops and in scientific journals
- PhD / Doctorate in Meteorology, Climate Physics or another relevant field
- Demonstrated skills in working with large data sets preferably from numerical weather predication / climate models or reanalyses
- Experience in at least one of the two following areas of expertise with a publication record in peer-reviewed, international journals (experience in both areas is considered a plus):
+ Data assimilation
+ Statistical modeling / post-processing
- Working experience with shell scripting and programming languages especially Fortran
- Working experience with data analysis software (e.g. R, Python)
- Evaluation / verification of weather forecasts or reanalysis data is desirable
- Experience in working on HPC systems is considered a plus
- Proficiency in English (German is considered a plus)
To apply for this position, please send a letter of application, CV, and the names and contact information of two references via email to email@example.com as PDF attachment. Review of potential candidates will begin on 4 May 2020 and continue until the position is filled. Due to the covid-19 pandemic, all interviews are conducted via teleconference. For further information or in case any questions arise, please feel free to contact Dr. Jan Keller (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For further information please see the attached job ad.
Description: Adobe PDF document
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.