|From||Héloïse SEDIRI <email@example.com>|
|Date||Mon, 17 Feb 2020 11:24:51 +0100|
Shom (French national institute of hydrography and oceanography) invites applications for a 36 months position in Brest (France) sea state expert.
As part of the "research in physical oceanography" department, your mission consists in defining, carrying out and commissioning studies and research in the field of sea states (swell, waves, infra-gravity waves).
• Ensure a high level of expertise in the field of modeling and observations of sea states (swells, waves, infra-gravity waves) by taking part in research projects in this field;
• Contribute to studies related to sea conditions (swells, waves, infra-gravity waves) capitalized in the form of internal reports or publications;
• Define and manage studies in its field of competence: technical specifications of studies, negotiation and participation in the drafting of subcontracts, follow-up of subcontracted studies, projects with external funding;
• Define, treat and analyze measurement campaigns at sea;
• Contribute to the definition of sea state forecasting systems.
You will be placed under the responsibility of the head of department. You will work in direct collaboration with the other experts in charge of "sea state" aspects (renewable marine energies, coastal risk prevention and sea state forecasting system for defence). You will be required to collaborate with the other thematic experts in the "Marine Science and Technology" division for which sea states have a significant impact (beach morpho-dynamics, weather-related ambient noise, wave-related traffic).
You will collaborate with national actors in marine renewable energy, Shom being a reference information provider for marine environmental conditions.
You will collaborate with the national and international scientific community of sea states and in particular within the consortium in charge of the development of the WaveWatch3 sea state spectral modelling model.
Required minimum qualifications are:
Degree of Engineer or equivalent (MSc), or Ph. D., in physics of sea state or other closely-related subjects. You have experience in the following areas:
• Numerical modelling of sea states with spectral and/or deterministic models;
• Observations (in situ, satellites)
An experience in the field of coastal physical oceanography is also desirable.
• Significant computer programming skills in Matlab and/or Python or equivalent;
• Knowledge of computing environments of high performance scientific calculators (linux, shell, parallel computing);
• Knowledge of statistical tools (calculation of climatological statistics of sea states in particular related to extreme events);
• Ability to work in a team in a multidisciplinary context (physical oceanography, statistics);
• Project management, supervision of post docs or PhD;
• Autonomy, curiosity, excellent relational skills and initiative;
• Fluency in French and English;
• Written communication skills
for writing technical and scientific reports and documenting work.
Application must be sent to the Shom human resources department firstname.lastname@example.org and the deadline is March 1st 2020. Applications (in French) should consist of a cover letter and a curriculum vitae. Please use the "EXP_EM" keyword in the subject of your email to facilitate the process of your application by Shom's HR department. Official advertisement (in French) can be found here:
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.