|From||"Letscher, Reiner" <email@example.com>|
|Date||Thu, 30 Jan 2020 16:10:08 +0000|
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is a multidisciplinary center for climate and Earth system research located in Hamburg, Germany. MPI-M contributes to the BMBF project "From the Last Interglacial to the Anthropocene: Modeling a Complete Glacial Cycle" (PalMod, www.palmod.de), which aims at simulating the climate from the peak of the last interglacial up to the present using comprehensive Earth System Models.
For phase II of this research project we have an open position in working group 1 (The physical system) for a
Postdoctoral Scientist (W073)
The successful candidate will be part of a local team performing and analysing long-term transient simulations covering the last glacial and the transition into the Holocene with an interactively coupled atmosphere-ocean-ice sheet model. Additionally, the candidate will contribute to the continued development of this model. The model system consists of the MPI-Earth system model, the ice sheet model PISM, and the solid-earth model VILMA.
For further information regarding the job description, please contact Uwe Mikolajewicz (uwe.mikolajewicz(at)mpimet.mpg.de). Do not forward your application to this email address; the application needs to be submitted through the online application system (see link below).
· A PhD in oceanography/meteorology/physics or a related science.
· Experience in performing and analysing experiments with a comprehensive earth system model or ice sheet model;
· Motivation and ability to participate in model development in an interdisciplinary and international environment;
· Ability and desire to work in a closely cooperating team;
· Excellent communication skills and publication record;
· Familiarity with coding and running computer models, very good programming skills in C++ and/or FORTRAN (on a HPC Linux platform) and scripting;
· Knowledge of the MPI-Earth system model or the ice sheet model PISM would be of advantage.
· The position is starting as soon as possible. The contract for phase II of PalMod ends September 2022.
· Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E14) including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including promotions and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science and those of the German civil service.
· The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
· Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
· Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities as outlined for this project.
Deadline for applying
All applications received prior to February, 17th 2020, will be given full consideration. The search will be continued until the position is filled.
We are looking forward to receiving your application
including the following documents:
· A motivation letter stating research experiences and interests
· A detailed curriculum vitae including a list of publications
· The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two referees
Please submit the application to our online application system:
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.