|From||"Auftragsabwicklung @ as mediendesign" <email@example.com>|
|Date||Fri, 27 Dec 2019 11:55:20 +0100|
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approximately 1.280 employees (including visiting scientists), the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the “System Earth” and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany’s largest science organization.
The Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics Section 1.4 offers one
Research Scientist (m/f/x)
Job Vacancy No. 03810
position within the Earth-Atmosphere Interactions Group to investigate the turbulent surface-atmosphere exchange of heat and greenhouses gases on the regional scale using airborne eddy covariance data.
You will leverage and integrate existing and upcoming airborne eddy covariance observations (from Alaska, NW Canada, Siberia, the central Arctic Ocean, and NE Germany), remote sensing, and machine learning approaches to (1) quantify current heat fluxes and GHG emissions of pristine permafrost and highly managed mid-latitude landscapes, (2) assess their spatial patterns und representativeness, and (3) analyze drivers and controls across spatial scales.
• process airborne eddy covariance raw data
• analyze spatial patterns and controls of GHG dynamics on regional scales
• apply quantitative analytical methods to large datasets
• integrate airborne eddy covariance measurements with numerical weather simulation, remote sensing, and machine learning techniques
• generate data-driven surface-atmosphere flux maps
• generate and test hypotheses
• work as part of a multi-institutional team
• present results at scientific meetings and publish results in scientific journals
• Master's degree and Ph.D in atmospheric/environmental science, meteorology, physics, geoecology, or related field
• in-depth knowledge of surface-atmosphere exchange, boundary layer processes, and the EC method
• excellent coding and quantitative analytical skills (incl. large data sets), preferably in R, Matlab, or Python
• creative & critical thinking and ability to publish shown by a track record of original and innovative research
• strong motivation and excellent oral and written communication skills
• motivation & experience to act as multiplier (e.g. recruit & supervise students, apply for follow-up projects)
• ability to work both independently and in an integrated team environment
• collaboration with researchers at both national and international institutes
• fluency in English (written and spoken), German is beneficial but not required
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 2.5 years
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application online by 6th January 2020 using the "Apply" button.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878
Original advert: https://gfz-potsdam.concludis.de/prj/shw/02ae6a786bbf135d3d223cbc0e770b6e_0/3810/Research_Scientist_m_f_x.htm?lang=en_GB
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.