|From||Kelsey Carter <Kelsey.Carter@dri.edu>|
|Date||Mon, 7 Oct 2019 21:21:50 +0000|
Executive Director for the Division of Atmospheric Sciences
The Desert Research Institute (DRI), the non-profit environmental research institution of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE), is seeking a qualified innovative individual to provide scientific leadership and management for its Division of Atmospheric Sciences (DAS). The primary function of the DAS Executive Director is to support, facilitate, and expand Division research activities through leadership that augments and enhances the Division’s multi-disciplinary scientific skills. DRI has two main campuses in Reno and Las Vegas, NV. The position is located at the Reno facility, and will require periodic travel to Las Vegas.
The successful candidate will: 1) anticipate areas of scientific growth and opportunity to leverage and market DAS capabilities, increasing research sponsorship; 2) plan for, recruit, and provide career support for aspiring scientists; and 3) foster teamwork within DRI/NSHE as well as with external collaborators. Oversight of DAS personnel and resources are major components of the position responsibilities.
Executive Directors are expected to apply research program development and implementation, leadership, and management skills as described in a few more detailed items below.
· Develop and implement strategies and teams to compete for research funding by leveraging DRI’s capabilities and understanding its place in the broader national and international research context.
· Be an excellent internal and external spokesperson for DAS faculty capabilities and successes.
· Exemplify a high standard for innovation, excellent customer service, and high-impact scientific and engineering achievement.
· Effectively manage human resources issues, such as annual evaluations of faculty, approval of staff evaluations, and recommendations of faculty for promotions and awards.
· U.S. citizenship is required and the ability to obtain and maintain a US government security clearance is mandatory.
· A doctorate from an accredited institution, or a master’s or undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with proven research accomplishments.
· Demonstrated leadership of a research enterprise and associated allocation of resources to achieve objectives.
· Demonstrated experience with externally sponsored research and a proven track record of successful proposal funding, research project execution, and delivery of expected results and products.
· Broad understanding of environmental sciences, air quality, and atmospheric sciences.
· Demonstrated outstanding interpersonal and written communication skills.
The scientific areas currently encompassed by the Division reflect issues and concerns common to regions worldwide, including developing nations. Consequently, the scope and relevance of this research extends well beyond the borders of Nevada and the nation.
The successful candidate will be offered the position contingent upon passing a mandatory test for the absence of any illegal drugs (as defined in 10 CFR 707.4) as well as satisfactory credit, criminal, and background investigations.
Qualified individuals interested in this position must apply online at https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/DRI-External/job/DRI---Reno-NV/Executive-Director--Division-of-Atmospheric-Science_R0118300. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is closed. Applications will be treated confidentially until the final stages of the search process. References will be contacted at a later date with the permission of the applicant.
For more detailed information about DRI, DRI faculty, and research projects and publications, please visit us at https://www.dri.edu. For questions regarding this position, please call the recruiting office at 775-673-7332.
DRI is an AA/EEO employer who gives consideration in employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or _expression_. Individuals with disabilities or protected veteran status are encouraged to apply.
Desert Research Institute
O: 775-673-7332 | F: 775-673-7339
2215 Raggio Parkway, Reno, NV 89512 | www.dri.edu
Career Opportunities: http://jobs.dri.edu
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.