We are looking for an enthusiastic scientific computational engineer to join us at LOCEAN/IPSL to support the group in various research projects.
The scientific computational engineer will implement, calibrate and optimize a low resolution and fast configuration of the coupled IPSL climate model, aimed at performing sets of simulations on long climatic time scales, such as those found in paleoclimates. She/he will interact with experts in the field at IPSL and rely on local computing infrastructures (ESPRI mesocentre) and national computing centres. She/he will provide support for the realization of stand-alone atmospheric or coupled ocean-atmosphere ensemble simulations to test certain physical parameterizations. On the basis of these sets of simulations, she/he will carry out a calibration of free model parameters in order to develop a configuration that presents the best compromise for a good representation of different fundamental climate aspects. To do this, she/he will benefit from tools for adjusting parameters based on the use of meta-models (from the uncertainty quantification community, UQ). A global aerosol model can also be activated in the atmospheric model. The engineer will propose and develop numerical solutions and tools for the researchers and post-doctoral fellows of the host team.
- Development and optimization of new configurations of the IPSL climate model and its workflow. Participation in their documentation, the development of associated tools, the porting and monitoring of their performances on national HPC centres.
- Use and validation of codes (ensemble of simulations, performance tests) in a High Performance Computing (HPC) context to better understand the mechanisms of climate variability.
- Implement and adapt climate model data analysis methods in order to help local research teams to address scientific need.
- Intensive use of computers from national (IDRIS, CCGT) and European (PRACE) HPC centers.
- Regular work with both scientists and IT engineers from local team and IPSL climate community.
- Write documentation and train users.
The activity of the LOCEAN host team (VARCLIM) focuses on the study of physical processes that control the dynamics and variability of the ocean and climate on a wide range of time and space scales for a better understanding of the climate system and its present, past and future evolution. The LOCEAN laboratory (https://locean-ipsl.upmc.fr) is one of nine laboratories in Ile-de-France in environmental and climate sciences at the Institut Pierre-Simon Laplace (IPSL) (https://www.ipsl.fr). The close synergy between LOCEAN's scientific teams and other IPSL laboratories within the IPSL Climate Modelling Centre (https://cmc.ipsl.fr) allows research and development of a climate model based on the integration of several components for the atmosphere, ocean, sea ice and continental surfaces. It regularly participates in international exercises such as the Climate Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP), on which the work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is based. The modelling activity is based both on GENCI's major national computing centres and on a dedicated IT infrastructure located at IPSL. The Research Engineer will join a very dynamic scientific team at LOCEAN and will work closely with about ten engineers and researchers who are at the heart of the development of the IPSL climate model. The position is based on the Pierre et Marie Curie campus of Sorbonne University in Paris.
- To have a PhD in climatology, Earth science or related field (physics, informatics) ;
- To have a strong experience in programming (Fortran90, Python and Bash) and in managing large data sets;
- To have a very good knowledge in computer techniques for modelling, processing, and representing scientific problems (e.g. parallelization techniques, vectorization, object modelling, code coupling, etc.);
- To have a very good knowledge in fluid mechanics and climate science;
- To have demonstrated verbal and written communication skills in English;
- To have interest in working in a multidisciplinary team environment;
- Basic knowledge of statistics and mathematical processing.
Employment situation and conditions
The recruited research engineer will work under the supervision of experienced LOCEAN and IPSL researchers and engineers and will collaborate closely and regularly with the IPSL-CMC group (https://cmc.ipsl.fr).
Starting date between November 1 and January 1, 2020
Full time position for 24 months – can be extended up to 48 months
Monthly salary: 3 815 € (commensurate with experience - includes social insurances)
Location: LOCEAN, Institut Pierre Simon Laplace, Paris, France
How to apply?
Applicants should send via e-mail to Myriam Khodri (email@example.com) (i) a statement of experience, qualification and interest, (ii) a complete CV and (iii) the name of two referees who would agree to send a letter of recommendation.
Review of the applications will start October 7 and the call is open until the position is filled.