|Date||Thu, 25 Jul 2019 14:59:25 +0100|
There is a vacancy for an experienced meteorologist to join our consultancy firm, Lake Street Consulting, whose aim is to help clients work with the weather.
Currently most of our client work is in the energy and agriculture sectors. Operational forecasting from within day to seasonal, and across the globe, forms part of the work. For us, operational forecasting is not regurgitating model output, but rather using our knowledge to inform clients of which solution is most likely to actually deliver, and what the uncertainties are. Analysis, more traditional consultancy projects and developing new business opportunities make up the remainder of the role: a similarly rigorous, client-based approach applies here also.
* have at least an undergraduate degree in meteorology or a related quantitative discipline.
* have at least 2 years’ experience using your meteorological skills.
* have knowledge of recent research, and have ideas for your own research.
* take pride in your work and have the drive to go that one step further.
* deliver to deadlines.
* have strong IT skills including:
- an ability to work with GRIB and NetCDF files,
- experience writing code in Python,
- experience working on Linux platforms, and
- an understanding of Office products, especially Excel.
* communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, in client-relevant language.
* be able to work full shifts including early mornings, late evenings and some weekends (e.g. 6am – 2pm, 2-10pm), with client requests sometimes necessitating longer hours.
* enjoy a mix of working independently and as a team player, be pro-active and enjoy taking the initiative.
* be willing to travel, both to meet clients and to conferences.
* be able to start work in, or soon after, Sept 2019
Whilst envisaged as a full time position, for the right candidate a slightly shorter work week may be possible: the ability to work full shifts remains a requirement.
Experience in any / all of the following would be an advantage: running limited area models (e.g. WRF), systems maintenance experience, writing apps, writing in other coding languages (e.g. VBA), and foreign language skills (written and/or spoken). Having a RMet (or FRMetS) qualification, or working towards one would be seen favourably.
Location: Oxfordshire, UK.
To apply, please send your Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter including availability to email@example.com Applications will be considered as they are received.
Lake Street Consulting is an equal opportunities employer.
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.