|From||Roger Brugge <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date||Mon, 29 Apr 2019 08:23:55 +0000|
Research and Technology Center, West Coast
Research Facility of the
FTZ-Westküste, Christian-Albrechts-Universität, Hafentörn 1, 25761 Büsum, Germany
Date: 29 April, 2019
Natural scientist/Engineer (0,5 TVL 13)
The Research and Technology Centre, West Coast, of Kiel University (FTZ) is looking for a natural scientist or engineer starting immediately to conduct research in the framework of a German-Israeli research project (funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research) in collaboration with the German Aerospace Center (DLR) and the Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research Institute (IOLR). The opportunity for a doctorate will be given. The project runs for 36 months starting April 1, 2019.
The topic of the cooperation project is an early warning system for oil spills off the coast of Israel. The respective research is conducted focusing on satellite remote sensing of marine oil spills. A main point is the application of methods from artificial intelligence and machine learning to discriminate oil and oil condensate spills from natural surface films. The developed algorithm will become part of DLR’s operational satellite data processing chain to enable near real-time oil detection for the project. The scientist will spend major parts of their work at DLR’s Remote Sensing Technology Institute in Bremen, Germany. Scientific stays of up to 3 months per year at the IOLR in Haifa, Israel, are also foreseen. There, under supervision by and in collaboration with IOLR scientists, the scientist develops the interface of the remote sensing data to marine oil spill modelling, to enable a forecast of oil spill drift in addition to oil spill detection.
- Academic degree in informatics, physics, mathematics, electrical engineering or a related field, with at least good grading
- Good programming knowledge in C/C++ and further programming languages like IDL, Python or similar
- Very good English skills in spoken and written
- Willingness to travel and to conduct research stays in Israel
- Basic knowledge in Earth observation, ideally with Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)
- Knowledge of artificial intelligence and machine learning is an asset
- Basic knowledge of numerical modelling is an asset
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.