The Laboratory of Operational Oceanography and Paleoceanography (LOOP), of the Graduate Program in Geochemistry (http://www.geoquimica.uff.br
) and the Oceanographic Observatory (O2 - http://www.observatoriooceanografico.uff.br
) of the Graduate Program in Ocean and Earth Dynamics (http://www.dot.uff.br
) of the Fluminense Federal University in Niterói, Brazil, is seeking to appoint an outstanding postdoctoral researcher in the field of biogeochemical modelling.
The successful candidate will work in an experienced and dynamic team of paleoceanographers and oceanographers at the university. She/he will be directly involved in an ongoing large-scale project with geochemists, biologists, and oceanographers, in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment. The work will be performed in a modelling team using a set of different models with varying complexity. The models of biogeochemical and oceanographic dynamics will include seasonal changes, as well as long-term simulations (from decadal to millennial timescales).
Desired skills and experience
- MSc/PhD in environmental modelling, physical oceanography, computer science, applied mathematics or related fields
- Good ability to work in multidisciplinary teams
- Interest in modelling coupled physical and biogeochemical processes
- Good knowledge of programming in R, Matlab, Python, or Fortran
- Good oral and written communication skills in English
- Promising publication record compatible with the career stage
- Good knowledge of biogeochemical processes and past work in multidisciplinary environment will be preferred
- Good skills in project generation and project management
Although the official language in Brazil is Portuguese, the working language at LOOP and O2 may be English. A language training in Portuguese will be offered if necessary/desired.
ABOUT THE EMPLOYER AND POSITION DETAILS
The LOOP and O2 groups work on applied research in geosciences, observational oceanography, paleoceanography and biogeochemistry, including climate change teleconnections using observational approaches and numerical modeling (0-3D).
Target start date is May/June 2019 (negotiable). Initial appointment will be for 12 months, with an extension for up to 2 more years based on the initial performance. We offer a highly competitive salary in local standards (up to ca. 7500 BRL monthly, equivalent to 1850 USD free of any tax), compatible with the applicant’s experience and skills. The successful applicant will be encouraged to develop her/his own research agenda compatible with the mission of the group..
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should send the following documents by email to Prof. Andre Belem (email@example.com
) containing the word "POS-DOC GEOCHEMICAL MODELING" in the subject of the message until May 15, 2019:
1) Cover letter outlining main research interests
2) CV including full publication list covering the last 5 years
3) Copy of PhD diploma
5) Contact details for 2 references.
Preliminary enquiries are welcome.
The LOOP and O2 research group are an Inclusive Workplace (IW) enterprise that wishes to ensure diversity in its workforce, and we are an equal opportunity employer. We therefore encourage all qualified candidates to apply for the vacancy. Please note that information about applicants may be made public even if an applicant has requested to be left off the list of applicants.
Prof. Andre L. Belem (Dr. rer. nat.)
Departamento de Engenharia Agrícola e Meio Ambiente - Escola de Engenharia
Universidade Federal Fluminense
Rua Passo da Pátria, 156 bloco E sl 300
Campus da Praia Vermelha - São Domingos
24210-240 Niterói,RJ / Brasil