|From||"Ma, Hsi-Yen" <email@example.com>|
|Date||Thu, 11 Apr 2019 17:04:30 +0000|
We have a Postdoc opening at LLNL Cloud Processes Research and Modeling Group. Please see the following announcement for more details. Thank you.
Postdoctoral Research Staff Member - Cloud Processes Research
Location: Livermore, CA
Category: Post Docs
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Posting Requirement: External Posting
Job ID: 105140
Job Code: Post-Dr Research Staff 1 (PDS.1)
Date Posted: April 01 2019
To apply, please go to LLNL career page
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to investigate the interactions between atmospheric convection and surface climate over the Central United States. The prospective candidate will use available observations to assess how well convection permitting models simulate atmospheric convection and its impact and dependence on surface conditions. This position is in the Cloud Processes Research and Modeling group in the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division (AEED).
- Conduct fundamental research assessing the interactions between atmospheric convection and surface climate over the Central United States.
- Use available observations to assess convection permitting model simulations of precipitation, surface energy and water budgets, and surface climate.
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research in the area of land-atmosphere-cloud interaction using both observation and modeling tools.
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in atmospheric science or closely related field.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric science or a closely related field.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: cumulus convection including mesoscale convective systems, land-atmosphere interactions, boundary layer turbulence.
- Experience performing or analyzing global or limited area high-resolution atmospheric model simulations.
- Experience with satellite- and/or ground-based observations such as those collected by the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program.
- Proficient with large datasets, modern programming environments, and visualization techniques.
- Effective ability to collaborate with a team of scientists of diverse backgrounds and ability to travel to coordinate research with collaborators.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a 2-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of 3 years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please go to LLNL career page
Hsi-Yen Ma, PhD
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Avenue, L-103
Livermore, CA 94551-0808
Phone: (925) 422-5958
Fax: (925) 422-7675
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.