|From||Juergen Grieser <Juergen.Grieser@rms.com>|
|Date||Fri, 22 Feb 2019 14:45:54 +0000|
Wind Hazard Modeler (London)
Risk Management Solutions (RMS) is the world's leading provider of mathematical models and information related to the financial impact of natural catastrophes. Our Model Development department has over one hundred Ph.D. scientists and engineers building mathematical models that predict the distributions of possible damage due to the effects of tropical storms, extra-tropical storms, thunderstorms, storm-surges, earthquakes, wildfires and freshwater floods.
We use a combination of observations, reanalysis data, numerical, statistical and engineering models. We pioneer new ways to combine modelling methods and create the most accurate and comprehensive models of natural catastrophes produced anywhere in the world.
Our clients include several hundred insurance and reinsurance companies as well as brokers, banks, hedge funds, regional and local governments, and multilateral agencies.
RMS have an open position in our wind hazard modelling team based in London. This role involves researching the hazard of tropical and extra-tropical extreme weather systems and developing mathematical models which quantify the risk they pose to society.
It presents a unique opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary team of catastrophe modelers including scientists, engineers, statisticians and mathematicians, to build models which are critical to our Re/Insurance clients and essential to the other markets which RMS serve.
Essential Job Functions
The successful candidate will perform research and development work in weather systems and their extreme behavior, with the overarching goal to quantify their loss potential. S/he will work closely with vulnerability, exposure, and financial modelers to ensure the accuracy, efficiency and appropriateness of the final modelling product.
The ideal candidate’s qualities, skills and attributes follow. Please provide your CV highlighting the salient education and experience, and a cover letter demonstrating how these meet the requirements of the position.
· PhD in a relevant subject (e.g. Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, Climate Science, or closely related areas).
· Research experience with, and deep understanding of atmospheric processes.
· Strong mathematical foundation with particular focus on statistics and probability.
· Demonstrated success in developing sophisticated mathematical models in academic or industrial environments.
· Experience working with large and complex datasets.
· Strong ability in modelling languages such as R, Python, and Julia.
· Experience with high-performance clusters and strong user skill in a Linux/Unix environment.
· Ability to communicate analysis results and insights effectively both internally and with external business partners.
· Demonstrated success and ability to manage priorities and deadlines and to work independently in a highly dynamic and diverse environment with multiple concurrent goals and with a diverse team of scientists and engineers.
· Excellent time management and planning skills with a commitment to delivery.
· Driven and committed, demonstrating initiative and self-motivation.
· Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
· Attention to detail and intense curiosity.
· Familiarity and interest in the re/insurance business domain.
· Familiarity and interest in state-of-the-art modelling methods including AI and ML.
· Willingness to pursue continued education in support of the role and team goals.
Strong candidates with different but equivalent profiles may also be considered. Previous experience in catastrophe modelling is not necessary.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers and smartphones.
This is largely a desk-based role. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, and participate in team meetings.
Travel is primarily local during the business day.
There’s a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year and a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfolio risks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy.
We are one of the most exciting companies you’ve probably ‘never’ heard of, unless you’re one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. We lead an industry we helped pioneer and ultimately our work makes a true impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everybody and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events.
We are evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, our cutting-edge risk management platform ‘RMS(one)’ for the global risk market. RMS(one) will create a holistic and integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all points of view, and all data. All will be run as equal partners on RMS(one).
RMS has 1,200 employees in 11 countries, including offices in Newark (CA-USA), Noida (India), London (UK), Hoboken (NJ-USA), and Zurich (Switzerland).
To find out more, visit www.rms.com or follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn or @rmsjobs on Twitter.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.