[Met-jobs] Postdoctoral position for urban climate modelling at SMART
We are seeking two motivated Postdoctoral Associates to join us to conduct research in urban microclimate, urban heat island (UHI) and thermal comfort in the highly urbanized and industrialized city of Singapore. The candidates are expected to participate in ongoing studies targeting UHI and urban environment modelling and UHI mitigation strategies from micro- to meso-scale, to analyse the numerical results, and to perform other relevant duties when necessary (e.g., prepare datasets for modelling input and paper writing). One of the candidates is further expected to take a leadership role in a team project by providing substantial expertise in UHI to guide the work of others.
The position will be based at the Center for Environmental Sensing and Modeling (CENSAM), an interdisciplinary research group of the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART), with collaboration with other CREATE entities (ETH, TUM-CREATE, and NUS). The expected starting date is April 1, 2019. The initial appointment is one year, renewable depending on funding availability and satisfactory performance.
- An earned PhD degree in environmental/mechanical engineering, meteorology, physical geography or related fields is required.
- Solid knowledge of urban climate, urban micrometeorology and thermodynamics is required.
- Basic knowledge and hands-on experience of at least one scripting/computer language (e.g. Matlab, python, C/C++, Fortran) is required; proficiency of Linux operating environment is an advantage.
- Capability/hands-on experience of microscale computational fluid dynamics models, and/or mesoscale models (e.g., Weather Research and Forecasting with urban canopy model) in urban thermal environment simulations. Experience in modelling wind, temperature and humidity in complex, realistic urban areas with ENVI-met or other programs is preferred.
- Some knowledge of geographical information system (GIS) will be an advantage.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Strong oral and written communicating skills are required.
- Experience of coordinating research projects is an advantage.
Interested applicants must submit their full CV/resume cover letter and a list of three references (name and contact information), and apply online through https://smart.mit.edu/careers/career-opportunities/job-application?job=270&job_cat=Job. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
(or Reverse Date),