|From||"Letscher, Reiner" <email@example.com>|
|Date||Thu, 7 Feb 2019 07:37:45 +0000|
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is an internationally renowned centre for climate research located in Hamburg, Germany. The MPI-M provides a vibrant international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities. The institute is located in the heart of one of Europe’s most liveable cities, and is embedded in an environment known worldwide for its breadth of climate research.
Within the framework of the DFG Cluster of Excellence ‘CliCCS – Climate, Climatic Change and Society’ we are looking for a
Postdoctoral or Research Scientist (W055)
in the area of numerical ocean modelling. The successful candidate will be part of the development team of the ocean model ICON-O and contribute to the development of a coastal version of ICON-O. The primary scientific task is to extend the numerics of ICON-O by generalized vertical coordinates. Additional research topics address numerical challenges of ocean modelling on unstructured grids with strong coastal refinement.
· Formulate and implement a numerical scheme for generalized vertical coordinates in ICON-O.
· Test and evaluate the new ocean model configuration in global and coastal ocean simulations.
· Contribute to project coordination and collaboration within the CliCCS project
A-5 “The Land–Ocean Transition Zone”
· Disseminate the results through peer-reviewed publications and presentations at conferences
· A PhD in mathematics, oceanography, meteorology, physics, or a related field is required
· Demonstrated skills in numerical model development or computational fluid dynamics
· Experience in scientific computing, strong programming skills in FORTRAN and code development on multi-processor computing systems
· Ability to effectively communicate the results within the project and to outside colleagues as well as the ability to publish in international journals
· The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
· Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities as outlined for this project.
How to submit your application for this post
by uploading the documents in our online application system:
Deadline for applying
Applications received prior to March 15, 2019 will receive full consideration, but the positions will remain open until filled. The starting date of this position is 1st of July 2019, but an earlier start can be arranged.
For further information, please contact Dr. Peter Korn:
Do not forward your application to this email address; the applications need to be submitted through the online application system (see link above).
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.