Sky News Weather Channel has a rare opportunity for an experienced meteorologist to join our team in Sydney to prepare and present live weather bulletins on our channel (Foxtel Channel 603) and other Sky News channels and streaming platforms.
We are looking for an experienced meteorologist who is an excellent communicator and is passionate about keeping Australians informed about important weather events, especially extreme weather.
You will be an excellent forecaster who can spot key weather patterns and phenomena and provide accurate and timely information to our audience.
You will also be a strong leader who can help lead our operational weather team under pressure and to very tight deadlines.
On-air training will be provided.
• Lead the operational weather team to produce high quality meteorological content across all Sky News platforms.
• Produce and present industry leading weather graphics with accurate, relevant and engaging on-air editorial, with regular live segments on Sky News Weather and frequent live crosses with the Sky News Channel.
• Respond to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations, as required.
• Brief Sky News reporters and presenters on weather events to ensure efficient and appropriate use of resources.
• Check reports for accuracy and credibility of information.
• Provide meteorological training to the weather team to improve editorial standards and accuracy.
• Perform interviews on radio.
• Identify and develop new segments.
• Research and identify meaningful weather information and statistics and communicate that information to our audience and our team.
• BSc in Meteorology or equivalent (ideally WMO BIP-M compliant).
• Minimum two years’ experience as an operational forecaster.
• Strong leadership skills and ability to brief and train presenters.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to effectively present on-air.
• Sharp analytical skills with a strong understanding of Australian weather patterns and forecasting.
• Ability to use internal and external resources to research meteorological phenomena in Australia and across the world.
We consistently strive for excellence in everything we do. We take responsibility for the accuracy of our work and always verify information to deliver news and opinions that are compelling.
We are driven
Our creative capital is the best in the business because we are collaborative and know what is newsworthy. We recognise creativity as the most valuable of commodities in an individual.
We are impartial
and give voice to those ignored by the mainstream
We are journalists at heart and our superior technical creative people deliver a news service which is the best in Australia.
We are respectful
and supportive of each other
We respect our differences, always support each other and challenge each other to make Australian News Channel the best in Australia.
Up for a challenge? Apply by sending through a short cover letter and resume to the Channel Manager, Sky’s Weather - Mark McKeown - firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on Friday, 15 February 2019.