|From||"Hannah, Walter Michael" <email@example.com>|
|Date||Fri, 21 Dec 2018 20:29:35 +0000|
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has an opening for a Research Staff Member to work in the area of the modeling of convective clouds. You will develop convection resolving atmospheric models in both limited-domain and super-parameterized global models and compare such simulations with observations of convective clouds, particularly over land. This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division.
- Improve the modeling of convective clouds in the Multi-scale Modeling Framework (MMF) version of the new DOE Energy Exascale Earth system model (E3SM)
- Analyze the simulation of convective clouds and precipitation over land in this MMF model.
- Perform large-eddy simulations of convective clouds over land and compare complex simulations with observations illustrating the coupling of the convective clouds with the land surface.
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Conduct independent research and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Atmospheric Science or closely related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in performing convection-resolving model simulations on large scale computational systems.
- Significant experience conducting research on convective clouds.
- Ability to compare model results with observational data through various diagnostic and visualization techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent research and collaborate effectively with a team of scientists of diverse backgrounds.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact in a clear and concise manner, author technical andscientific reports and papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.