|From||Gabrielle De Lannoy <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|To||Gabrielle De Lannoy <email@example.com>|
|Date||Wed, 7 Nov 2018 09:18:45 +0000|
PhD or Postdoc Position -- Satellite-based data assimilation for regional cropping systems
We are searching for an enthusiastic PhD student or postdoctoral researcher to apply land surface data assimilation for regional cropping systems. The research is part of a European H2020 project focusing on soil hydrology, vegetation, water scarcity and management of cropping systems. The research will be supervised by prof. Gabrielle De Lannoy, prof. Gerard Govers, and colleagues involved in the H2020 project.
The research aims at using relatively fine-scale satellite information to improve estimates of water budget and vegetation components in various agricultural regions. The modeling system will involve the FAO Aquacrop crop growth model; the assimilation system will be ensemble- or particle-based; the satellite data will include optical and microwave measurements.
Our team: http://ees.kuleuven.be/bwb/index.html
- Perform and disseminate highly qualitative research
- For PhD student: follow doctoral school
- For postdoctoral researcher: project management
- Excellent motivation and grades
- Master in Bioscience Engineering, Geography, Civil or Environmental Engineering, Meteorology, Hydrology, Remotely Sensed Earth Observation, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Sciences or equivalent
- Experience with data-processing applications such as Matlab/Python, IDL, GrADS, R, or other
- Experience with programming and scientific computing
- Creative, critical, analytical and innovative mindset
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
Only PhD candidates with grades above average can be admitted to the doctoral school.
- For PhD position: fully funded PhD scholarship for 4 years; support and training through the Arenberg Doctoral School (https://set.kuleuven.be/phd)
- For postdoctoral position: 2-year position with a competitive salary; support in career development
- Multi-disciplinary and international professional environment
- Leuven is a charming historical university town, located in the heart of Western Europe
Only persons strictly matching the above profile should apply. Submit your resume, along with a motivation letter, and two names for references on-line. For PhD candidates: make sure to indicate your study grades in your resume; for postdoctoral researchers: please include a list of your publications. The starting date is January 2nd, 2019. For more information please contact prof. dr. ir. Gabrielle De Lannoy, tel.: +32 16 37 67 13, mail: gabrielle[dot]delannoy[at]kuleuven[dot]be.
Apply for this job no later than November 20, 2018 via the online application tool:
This position will remain open until filled by an excellent candidate.
Prof. dr. ir. Gabrielle J. M. De Lannoy
KULeuven, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Division Soil and Water Management
Celestijnenlaan 200 E - box 2411
Tel +32 16 37 67 13
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.