|From||"Letscher, Reiner" <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date||Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:16:34 +0000|
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is an internationally renowned centre for climate research located in Hamburg, Germany. The MPI-M provides a vibrant international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities. The institute is located in the heart of one of Europe’s most liveable cities, and is embedded in an environment known worldwide for its breadth of climate research.
The MPI-M has opened two positions for
Postdoctoral Scientists (f/m / W052)
in the area of large-scale climate dynamics. Particular areas of interest are topics related to the World Climate Research Programmes Grand Science Challenge on Clouds Circulation and Climate Sensitivity; for instance, how rainbands or storm tracks respond to warming, factors controlling or stabelizing planetary albedo (and hence influencing climate sensitivity), the role of convective organization and more generally the question of how the atmospheric and oceanic mesoscale may shape larger-scale circulations.
The successful candidate will have considerable latitude in defining their own research questions, but an ability to articulate new ideas and leverage new opportunities (global cloud resolving models, advances in measurement science, large-ensembles, long, or creatively configured runs with traditional climate models) is paramount. Positions are initially offered for two years, with the intent to help qualify new postdocs for group leader positions, either through institute or external funding.
· Develop a creative and independent line of research in one the thematic focii areas listed above.
· Disseminate results of research through high quality peer-reviewed publications and presentations at conferences.
· Actively contribute to strengthening the intellectual atmosphere of the institute.
· A PhD in meteorology, oceanography, physics, mathematics or a related field.
· A track record (appropriate to career stage) of effectively communicating research results.
· An ability to articulate and pursue a clear and recognizable line of research.
· The positions are initially offered for 2 years.
· Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E14), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
· The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology seeks to increase the number of female scientist and encourages them to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their track record of accomplishment and assessed potential for creative and independent research in the thematic focii articulated above. Because the position is for post-doctoral training, candidates with PhDs received in 2016 or after are preferred.
How to submit your application for this post
by uploading the documents in our online application system:
Deadline for applying
Applications received prior to 1 September 2018 will receive full consideration, but the positions will remain open until filled. The starting date is negotiable, but can be immediately.
For further information, please contact Prof. Bjorn Stevens (bjorn.stevens(at)mpimet.mpg.de).
Do not forward your application to this email address; the applications need to be submitted through the online application system (see link above).
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.