The University of Kansas is looking for an IT Support Technician that will be responsible for the support of the departments of Geology / Geography and Atmospheric Sciences. This position will play a large role in supporting their student
labs, research labs and all other scientific instrumentation and software related to Geology / Geography and Atmospheric Sciences.
Below is the job description as well as a link apply.
IT Support Services
KU Information Technology
IT Support Technician Senior
Provide technical support to users while working under direct supervision and following standard procedures and written instruction to accomplish assigned tasks. Serve as the first point of contact for troubleshooting hardware / software,
or printer problems. Assist faculty, research staff, graduate students, and administrative staff via telephone, email, chat, and in person with a wide range of questions, problems, and requests related to classroom technologies, desktop software, research
hardware, peripherals, network issues, and application and instrumentation issues on a variety of different platforms including Linux, MacOS, and Windows.
Assists in performing installation, maintenance, and repair of classroom and research computing workstation labs, including workstations attached to lab instruments. Manage research lab workstations in close concert with faculty specifications. Monitors, troubleshoots,
and tests IT systems under the direct supervision of IT supervisors. This position will require lifting up to 50 pounds, and possession of a valid driver’s license.
30%-Provide basic technical support via phone, email, chat or in person. Identify if the technical issue can be quickly resolved or it needs to be researched by a higher-level technical support unit.
20%- Effectively consult with researchers / faculty and staff about computer system issues, such as: requirement analysis, computer hardware/software/network system specifications, maintenance, development, support, and cost.
20%- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues.
10-%- Provide quotes for new equipment procurement, and consult on equipment written in to grants. Maintain accurate inventory information for both hardware and software products.
10%- Meet customer requirements through first contact resolutions with excellent customer satisfaction. Confirm customer understanding of the solution and provide additional customer education as needed.
Create and document trouble tickets as indicated by the workflow. Create and update procedures and knowledgebase articles. Develop broad and in-depth knowledge of software and hardware that are unique to the Technical Support Service area.
5%- Support, install and upgrade new computer equipment including imaging of new computers.
5%- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a scientific / engineering discipline OR relevant combination of education and experience
- Two years of experience with Linux/Unix and MacOS support and management.
- Two years of experience providing scientific computing support.
- Good communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- This position shares in responsibility for information security by following all applicable security policies and procedures.
- This position is authorized to use elevated privilege accounts in the performance of job duties.
- This position is authorized to issue password resets in accordance with established procedure in the performance of job duties.
- This position is authorized to handle sensitive or confidential data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
- This position is authorized to manage, provision, and deprovision IT assets in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
- Experience managing scientific research workstations and instrumentation computers.
- Experience building scientific software packages and libraries from source code.
- Familiarity with languages and tools used for scientific analysis such as R, Matlab, IDL, and Python.
- Familiarity with scientific data formats and libraries such as netCDF and HDF.
- Familiarity with compiled languages used for scientific computing such as C/C++ and Fortran.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows systems.
- Experience with Active Directory.
- Experience with Imaging Software.
- Experience with Microsoft System Center & Configuration Manager (SCCM).
- Experience with Red Hat Linux Satellite Server.
- Experience with JAMF Pro or Casper.
- Knowledge of LAN / WAN principles and protocols.
- Experience with a Ticketing System.
- Experience creating technical documentation.
- Experience with automated patch systems.
- Experience with automated systems deployment.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete application consists of:
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for applications is March 11th, 2018
Contact Information to Applicants
IT Associate Director
Advertised Salary Range
Contingent on experience
Application Review Begins
Monday, March 12, 2018