November 2017
Message 97

[Periods|Index by:DateThreadSubjectAuthor|Date:PreviousNext|Thread:(Previous)(Next)|List Information]

[Met-jobs] Fully-funded PhD studentship at the University of Strathclyde for UK/EU students

From Christopher White <>
To "" <>
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2017 17:09:19 +0000

The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of 
Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland, is looking for a high-quality candidate for a 
Research Council UK (RCUK) fully-funded (fees and stipend) PhD within the broad 
topic of Civil & Environmental Engineering. 

The project is undefined, meaning the applicant has the opportunity to define 
their own project in collaboration with a supervisor selected from within the 

Within the Department’s Centre for Water, Environment, Sustainability and 
Public Health, Dr. Chris White is looking for a suitable candidate interested 
in one of the following topics across the disciplines of climate change, 
natural hazards, hydrology and adaptation:

• Compound (or coincident) climatic extreme events
• Multi-hazard risk assessment for hydro-meteorological extremes
• Climate change and the protection of cultural heritage
• Working with natural processes for flood prevention in a changing climate

General information on the studentship, including details of how to apply, can 
be found here:

The successful candidate MUST be able to commence their PhD before 1 March 
2018, with applications closing 15 December 2017. Applicants should hold a 
minimum of an upper second class honours degree, or an MSc with distinction. 

RCUK funding for this studentship has strict eligibility criteria as outlined 

• RCUK fees and stipend can only be awarded to UK and EU students and not to 
EEA or International students.
• EU students are only eligible for RC stipend if they have been resident in 
the UK for 3 years, including for study purposes, immediately prior to starting 
their PhD.
• If an EU student cannot fulfil this condition then they are eligible for a 
fees-only studentship.
• International students cannot be funded from RC funds unless they are 
‘settled’ in the UK. ‘Settled’ means being ordinarily resident in the UK 
without any immigration restrictions on the length of stay in the UK. To be 
‘settled’ a student must either have the Right to Abode or Indefinite leave to 
remain in the UK or have the right of permanent residence in the UK under EC 
law. If the student’s passport describes them as a British citizen they have 
the Right of Abode.
• Students with full refugee status are eligible for fees and stipend.

For more information, please contact Dr. White <>
Dr Chris White
Senior Lecturer & Director of Postgraduate Research
Centre for Water, Environment, Sustainability and Public Health
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering 
University of Strathclyde
Web: <>
Email: <>
Phone: +44-141-548-4366

Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.