|From||Roger Brugge <email@example.com>|
|Date||Thu, 16 Nov 2017 18:10:57 +0000|
Forwarded from CLIMLIST...
Position Title: Research Scholar - Assessment Data Analyst
Institution: North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies, North
Carolina State University
Job Location: Asheville, NC
The Assessment Data Analyst (Research Scholar) will provide expertise in
scientific programming and data analytics to address the software
engineering needs of the institute’s Climate Assessment activities
including the following:
- Design, develop, and maintain web-based tools for internal and
external management of data, report drafts, report reviews, and author
- Provide innovative software engineering solutions for the needs of
the assessment team.
- Develop innovative analytical solutions to support the development
and analysis of high quality, large-scale research data sets needed for
- Work in a team environment developing integrated analytical and
- Support integration of climate datasets into existing frameworks for
data analysis and evaluation.
- Plan, develop, and implement quality assurance, evaluation, and
troubleshooting tools and applications to ensure accessibility and
integrity of datasets and other end products.
- Fully participate in unit (Institute, NCEI, TSU, etc) activities and
Other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education/Experience: A Ph.D. in computer sciences, analytics,
Earth sciences, engineering, or related field with at least 3 years
experience in developing complex software solutions for working with
large geophysical data sets, ideally climate data sets, as well as
extensive experience with web and cloud-based tools for data and
applications management OR a Masters degree in one of the above fields
with at least 5 years experience developing complex software solutions
for working with large geophysical data sets, ideally climate data sets,
as well as extensive experience with web and cloudbased tools for data
and applications management OR a Bachelors degree in one of the above
fields with at least 8 years experience in scientific programming,
analysis and specific work experience as reflected above.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently as well as make positive team
- Demonstrated computer programming proficiency utilizing standard
- Demonstrated proficiency with database management using structured and
- Two or more years of experience working with high performance
computing systems; scalable, parallel architectures; and basic aspects
of the UNIX/Linux operating systems.
- Solid working knowledge of data processing/data analysis with
statistical software (such as Pandas, SAS, R) and scientific data
visualization software (such as Matplotlib, ggplot2, IDL).
- Demonstrated advanced statistical techniques including proficiency
with spatial statistics and timeseries analysis.
Preferred Experience,Skills, Training/Education:
Preference given to those with seven or more years experience working
with in situ and remotely sensed climate data in largescale databases,
expert knowledge of data processing/data analysis with statistical
software (such as Pandas, SAS, R) and scientific data visualization
software (such as Matplotlib, ggplot2, IDL); two or more peer reviewed
publications in data analytics or a related area.
The full posting can be found at
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.