|From||"Letscher, Reiner" <email@example.com>|
|Date||Thu, 31 Aug 2017 09:40:24 +0000|
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is an internationally renowned centre for climate research located in Hamburg, Germany. The MPI-M provides a vibrant international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities. The institute is located in the heart of one of Europe’s most liveable cities, and is embedded in an environment known worldwide for its breadth of climate research.
MPI-M develops its new Earth system model MPI-ESM2 on the basis of the ICON modeling framework. In the department The Ocean in the Earth System we are looking for a
Postdoctoral Scientist or Research Associate (m/f; W046)
in the area of numerical modelling of sea-ice dynamics and thermodynamics. The successful candidate will be part of a team developing the ICON-O ocean model. The particular task is to work on a new scheme for sea-ice dynamics that is based on the ICON-O numerics.
· Contribute to the improvement of the sea-ice code in ICON-O
· Develop and implement sea-ice dynamics based on the ICON-O numeric
· Test and evaluate the new sea-ice component in stand-alone ocean and coupled ocean-atmosphere model configurations
· Contribute to project coordination and collaboration within the ICON project
· Disseminate the results through peer-reviewed publications and presentations at conferences
· A PhD in meteorology, oceanography, physics, mathematics or a related field is required
· Strong programming skills in FORTRAN and code development on multi-processor computing systems and experience with post-processing tools
· Experience in sea-ice physics and dynamics and numerical schemes on unstructured grids
· Ability to effectively communicate the results within the project and to outside colleagues as well as the ability to publish in international journals
· Good organization skills
Candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities as outlined for this project.
How to submit your application for this post
by uploading the documents in our online application system:
Deadline for applying
This vacancy has been opened 31 August 2017. A first cut-off date for the collection of the applications is foreseen on 17 September 2017. If the position is not filled, this vacancy announcement will be republished indicating a second cut-off date.
For further information, please contact Dr. Johann Jungclaus (johann.jungclaus (at)mpimet.mpg.de) or Dr. Peter Korn (peter.korn(at)mpimet.mpg.de).
Do not forward your application to this email address; the applications need to be submitted through the online application system (see link above).
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.