|From||"Letscher, Reiner" <email@example.com>|
|Date||Mon, 3 Jul 2017 14:50:42 +0000|
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is a multidisciplinary center for climate and Earth system research located in Hamburg, Germany. It’s one of the premier climate science research institutes in the world. Located in the heart of one of Europe’s most livable and vibrant cities it provides a highly international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state of the art scientific facilities.
Within the framework agreement for Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service “Global and regional a posteriori validation, including focus on the Arctic and Mediterranean areas” (CAMS 84) funded by ECMWF, the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology is looking for a
Postdoctoral Scientist/Research Scientist (50%, m/f – W043).
The candidate will contribute to the evaluation of the real-time operational analyses and forecasts of atmospheric chemical species. He/she will be comparing forecasts and re-analyses to available space and in-situ observational data including measurements made at monitoring stations and during field campaigns. Validation reports will be regularly prepared and provided to the Coordination Office of the Project (KNMI in the Netherlands) following the expected schedule.
Qualifications / experience
· A PhD in Meteorology, Oceanography, Physics, or a related area is required for this position.
· Good knowledge of chemical and physical processes occurring in the atmosphere is strongly desired.
· Experience in performing and evaluating atmospheric model simulations is desired.
· Programming skills in Fortran and statistical post-processing and visualization software (e.g. PYTHON, MATLAB, FERRET, NCL, IDL, GRADS), as well as experience in handling large data sets are strongly desired.
· Ability to work both independently and within a team are strongly desired.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are strongly desired.
· Strong motivation and ability to carry out research in an interdisciplinary and international environment are strongly desired.
The selection criteria will value the qualifications, the experience and the ability of the candidates to fulfill the responsibilities of the opening as outlined above.
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology seeks to increase the number of female scientist and encourages them to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
· The position is offered for 12 month, starting as soon as possible but not later than October, 1st.
· Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E 14), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
How to submit your application for this post
- A cover letter
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two references
By uploading the documents in our online Webtool:
Deadline for applying
This vacancy has been opened on 3 July 2017. The vacancy will be kept open until filled.
A first cut-off date for the collection of the applications is foreseen on 24 July 2017. If the position is not filled, this vacancy announcement will be re-published indicating a second cut-off date.
For further information, please contact Prof. Guy Brasseur (guy.brasseur(at) mpimet.mpg.de). Do not forward your application to this email address; the application needs to be submitted through the online Webtool (see link above).
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.