HAMTEC Consulting a provider of quality staff to the aerospace industry.
We are currently seeking a member of staff with university degree in a relevant computer or natural science subject
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: ASAP
Closing date: 27th February 2017
Consultancy is sought for the ongoing scientific activities in preparation for a future UVNS mission to be flown on the EUMETSAT Polar System – Second Generation. The Contractor, via its key person, will provide consultancy to the Atmospheric Composition Team in the Remote Sensing and Products (RSP) Division of EUMETSAT, located in Darmstadt, Germany. He/she will interface with in-house experts of various disciplines (system, instruments, operations, science), and in particular members of the EPS-SG Science Team within the RSP Division.
The tasks of the Contractor via its key person will include:
- Development of algorithms for calibration of UVNS level 0 data;
- Taking into account the constraints imposed by the final goal of implementation of the products within an operational processing system;
- Development of prototype software code for the purposes of testing and validating the algorithms developed;
- Development of an instrument performance model based on specifications to be provided by industry;
- Generation of test data required for the verification of the algorithm and products;
- Generation of associated documentation including test data descriptions, Product Generation Specification (PGS), Product Format Specifications (PFS), technical reports etc;
- Interfacing with experts across EUMETSAT as needed;
- Collaboration with expert groups and the wider scientific community outside EUMETSAT as appropriate;
In addition, the key person will provide consultancy in:
- Algorithm development activities for the level 2 product development for the UVNS instrument;
- Equivalent activities for the UVN mission on MTG;
- Assessment of results from scientific studies;
- Refinement of mission requirements in response to expert advice and results of scientific studies;
- Scientific assessments related to requirements refinements;
- Interaction with expert teams and the conduct of expert team meetings;
- Participation in reviews.
The tasks will evolve as the EPS-SG specifications mature in the coming years.
Qualifications and Experience
- a university degree in meteorology, atmospheric physics, remote sensing, or equivalent
- a minimum of three year’s experience in the field of remote sensing
- Experience in atmospheric remote sensing in the optical spectrum (Ultraviolet to Shortwave Infrared);
- Experience with instrument calibration and characterisation;
- Familiarity with Earth observation systems in operational meteorology, atmospheric composition and climate monitoring (both remote sensing and in situ systems);
- Handling and processing of remote sensing data;
- Familiarity with radiative transfer;
- Good skills in a higher programming language (e.g. Fortran, C++, Java)
- Quality control of satellite data and products;
- Operational product processing environments;
- Software build environments and tools (e.g. make, imake, eclipse, insure++);
- Source code control system (e.g. git, SVN).
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via firstname.lastname@example.org
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website: