We have a position open with a leading reinsurance company for their Cat Peril division.
Mentioned below are the job details.
Specialist Atmospheric Perils
India - Bangalore
Division: Group Underwriting
Department: Cat Perils About the role
The catastrophe perils department is responsible for global natural catastrophe risk assessment. The department advances cutting-edge probabilistic and proprietary modeling technology for earthquakes, windstorm and flood hazards, with a clear business mandate to grow the organisation's competitive edge in close cooperation with underwriters and clients. You will be embedded in a team of 45 members, located in various global locations which covers a wide range of specializations in natural science, engineering and statistics disciplines. As an Atmospheric Specialist you work in projects oriented in atmospheric perils (e.g., cyclones, winter storms, tornadoes) modeling and advising underwriters/client managers on various atmospheric peril related topics globally. You get in-depth exposure to the organisation's proprietary natural perils model platform and to natural catastrophe reinsurance business. Depending upon your inclination and skills, you can widen your role in the team over time.
About the team
We are looking for people with Doctoral /postgraduate degree with relevant industrial experience and strong academic record for our natural catastrophe modelling team. The job offers you the chance to join the dynamic, fast-moving world of a highly specialised financial services organisation.About You
Main tasks/activities/responsibilities (in brief statements describe the main accountabilities of the job and specify responsibilities)
• Involve in atmospheric model development activities, which will include but not limited to:
o Development of the different components (e.g., setting up model framework, generating hazard event set, hazard footprints, vulnerability set), including calibration and validation
o Collection and analysis of historical hazard and loss data
o Analysis of real time nat cat events to assess their impact on business
o Coordination with various teams to ensure proper model change management
o Documentation/pre of the research work and results in an organized and timely manner
• Support underwriters and client managers, which will include but not limited to:
o Advising underwriters on various nat cat topics related to their markets
o Collaboration with underwriters/client managers to develop appropriate nat cat solutions
o Analysis of property portfolio in the organisation's internal and external tools
• An advanced degree in the field of wind/structural/civil engineering/meteorology or a field which is closely related to these disciplines
• Flair to implement ideas in a pragmatic manner
• Must have strong programming experience, preferably with Matlab
• Ability to manipulate large datasets and experience with GIS is essential
• Experience in probabilistic risk modelling is a major asset
• Strong motivation to learn about re/insurance
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Above all: scientific and financial curiosity combined with the ability to work independently on various R&D projects while at ease with teamwork and communication in a global setting.