|From||"Letscher, Reiner" <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date||Wed, 14 Dec 2016 14:42:06 +0000|
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, a multidisciplinary centre for climate and Earth system research located in Hamburg, Germany, invites applications for
1 PhD (m/f) in the field of modelling
the storm surge climate of the North Sea (MPIM-W036)
The applicant will investigate long-term changes of sea level in the German Bight. The specific focus will be on decadal and centennial variability of sea level and intensity and frequency of storm surges. For this investigation a coupled regional atmosphere-ocean model will be applied. The results will be compared with geological reconstructions. The project SEASTORM is part of the interdisciplinary SPP 1889 - Regional Sea Level Change and Society (http://www.spp-sealevel.de/index.php?id3796).
Qualifications / Experience
· The applicant is required to have a M.Sc. or diploma in oceanography, meteorology, physics or a related field.
· Experience with the application and analysis of complex circulation models as well as basic knowledge of numerical analysis and statistical methods are of advantage.
· Good skills in programming (FORTRAN) and computer science are an asset, since the applicant will work with high performance computing systems (linux OS, parallel computing).
· A good working knowledge of the English language is required.
· The position is offered for three years as soon as possible.
· This Ph.D. position is part of the International Max Planck Research School on Earth System Modelling (IMPRS-ESM).
· Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions up to TVoeD E13/65%, including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
· The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology seeks to increase the number of female scientist and encourages them to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
How to submit your application
1) a cover letter,
2) a detailed curriculum vitae (incl. list of publications if applicable)
3) copies of certificates and transcripts, and
4) the names and contact information for two references
by uploading the documents in our online application system:
Deadline for applying: Please submit your application until 9 January 2017.
For further information, please contact Uwe Mikolajewicz (email@example.com). Note that applications will be accepted only when submitted via the online application system (see link above).
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.