[Met-jobs] Copernicus Marine Applications Expert
HAMTEC Consulting a provider of quality staff to the aerospace industry.
We are currently seeking a Marine Applications Expert with university degree and 5 years of experience in oceanography or a related discipline
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: February 2017
Closing date: 5th January 2017
- The marine applications expert will provide support towards the marine/oceanographic user community. In particular, he/she will support the interactions between EUMETSAT and the Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service (CMEMS). In addition, he/she will provide subject matter expertise to the teams responsible for the promotion of satellite data towards the wider user community.
The main tasks of the key person are:
- Support to the marine data stream
- Prepare and maintain an interaction plan with the Marine user community CMEMS and the wider user community e.g. Group for High Resolution SST (GHRSST), International Ocean Colour Coordinating Group (IOCCG), Ocean Surface Topography Science Team (OSTST), etc.
- First-line support to marine product enquiries
- Working with the User Helpdesk team the key person shall provide first line support and respond to user’s questions relating to EUMETSAT’s marine data and products.
- Support the evolution of information on the Copernicus marine products
- Support to web information (e.g. Product Navigator entries, Case Studies etc.);
- Provide expert input to future evolutions of EUMETSAT’s products, data services and user support services towards the marine and oceanographic user communities;
- Support documentation preparation (e.g. the preparation and update of product user guides).
- Support to CMEMS
- Prepare the Agenda and record meeting minutes of the regular coordination meetings between EUMETSAT and CMEMS and track actions arising from this coordination;
- Support the reporting on the Copernicus Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) through the monitoring and assessment of user uptake of the Copernicus marine data.
- Support to Science
- Support the marine product release process (e.g. support the marine product validation process as needed and support the preparation of user release notices).
- Support to Training
- Assist the user training team as an expert in marine training activities;
- Adapt relevant training material into web information for the wider marine user community;
- Prepare case studies that show potential applications of the marine data for users.
- All tasks and deliverables shall be performed in accordance with relevant EUMETSAT working practices and guidelines, and the key person is asked to support the maintenance of these practices and guidelines.
Qualifications and Experience
- A university degree, or equivalent, in oceanography or a related discipline
- A minimum of 5 years experience in relevant disciplines.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of the relative value of satellite observations and other observations in marine and oceanographic applications;
- Good knowledge of marine data products and algorithms at least in one application area;
- Experience in working with or supporting an operational and/or research marine user community, and an understanding of the other;
- Experience in using satellite products and the related tools available to process/visualize them; an understanding of GIS based approaches and web map services is an advantage;
- Excellent communication skills;
- A demonstrated willingness and experience of sharing information;
- Good English writing skills;
- Knowledge of MS Office;
- High-level of autonomy in working arrangements and the ability to apply initiative and creativity in the execution of tasks.
- Understanding the specific aspects and constraints of operational data processing environments;
- Experience in working in an international environment or with international partners or customers.
- The key person shall be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner and must be able to work without supervision.
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via firstname.lastname@example.org
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website:
Copernicus Marine Applications.pdf
Description: Adobe PDF document
(or Reverse Date),