|From||"Letscher, Reiner" <email@example.com>|
|Date||Thu, 20 Oct 2016 06:35:59 +0000|
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is a multidisciplinary centre for climate research located in Hamburg, Germany, one of Europe’s most livable and vibrant cities. The MPI-M has an internationally recognised reputation in climate modelling and provides a highly international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities.
The Department the “Atmosphere in the Earth System” is searching for an exceptional
Postdoctoral Scientist (m/f, MPIM-W034)
The successful applicant will work within the Department “Atmosphere in the Earth System” to study links between ozone, circulation, and climate sensitivity with a focus on the tropical tropopause layer.
The position offers the opportunity to work with the newly developed ICON model system that can be used on a variety of scales from global to cloud resolving. The candidate is expected to exploit the capabilities of this system to tackle questions in the above mentioned area using a hierarchy of model configurations. The successful applicant will work with Hauke Schmidt in the “Middle and Upper Atmosphere” group of the department. But the position comes with considerable freedom to shape the research questions, hopefully in cooperation with other members and groups of the department, as in particular Thorsten Mauritsen and Bjorn Stevens.
Qualifications / Experience
Candidates with a strong background in atmospheric circulation and chemistry are strongly preferred. Proven knowledge on processes relevant in the tropical tropopause layer would be a plus. Experience in modelling, model analysis, and/or the analysis of observations is also desired. Additional qualifications include: a PhD in Meteorology or a related field; strong programming/scripting and analytic skills; an ability to work as part of a team; and an ability to communicate effectively as demonstrated through at least one excellent first authored scientific publication (or publication draft).
· The position is offered for at least two years, with an extension of an additional year contingent on performance and financing, starting as soon as possible.
· Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E14), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
· The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology seeks to increase the number of female scientist and encourages them to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status
Candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities as outlined for this position.
How to submit your application for this post
1) A cover letter
2) A detailed curriculum vitae
3) The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two referees by uploading the documents in our online application system:
Deadline for applying
This vacancy has been opened 17 October 2016. A first cut-off date for the collection of the applications is foreseen on 30 November 2016. If the position is not filled, this vacancy announcement will be re-published indicating a second cut-off date.
Further information on this position
For further information, please contact Dr. Hauke Schmidt at hauke.schmidt(at)mpimet.mpg.de.
Do not forward your application to this email address, the applications need to be submitted through the online application system (see link above).
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.