|From||"Werf, G.R. van der" <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date||Mon, 22 Aug 2016 13:33:39 +0000|
PhD student in wildfire smoke sampling using drones @ VU Amsterdam
The PhD student will set-up and conduct field campaigns mostly in tropical countries to sample smoke from fires in savannas and forests using drones. Measurements will then be coupled with satellite data of fire and vegetation characteristics using GIS or computer modeling, and shared with the modelers in the project. The work should lead to publications in the peer-reviewed literature that will be used to write a PhD thesis. The applicant should be able to deal with complex logistical issues for example regarding permits in the tropical countries where measurements will be made and spend a substantial amount of time abroad.
• MSc. in environmental or earth sciences or related field but with proven interest in earth sciences;
• ability to work independently in challenging conditions;
• affinity with high-end scientific equipment;
• programming or GIS skills;
• excellent ability to communicate in both written and spoken English, knowledge of other languages including French, Portuguese, or Bahasa Indonesia is advantageous;
• strong scientific motivation;
• good social skills and extensive international travel experience;
• holder of driver’s license.
More information: http://vu.nl/nl/werken-bij-de-vu/vacatures/2016/16445.aspx
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.