[Met-jobs] NWP Verification / Validation Modeler to join Spire's elite weather team in Boulder, CO
Spire Global (www.spire.com
) is looking for an experienced Verification / Validation Modeler to join our team in Boulder, CO. If you're interested, please read the following description and apply directly via the link provided.
NWP Verification / Validation Modeler - Spire, Boulder CO
Background: Spire Global is seeking several NWP (Numerical Weather Prediction) modelers for the implementation and validation of its research weather forecast systems in order to test the value of large numbers of Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) soundings. To implement and improve Spire modeling systems for data testing, Spire Global is seeking several NWP modelers to integrate and test the next-generation physical parameterization package, to verify and validate model forecasts with state-of-art verification packages, and to undertake synoptic and mesoscale weather analysis and forecasts with Spire’s research model and data. This is an exciting opportunity for motivated scientists to team work with NWP modelers, data assimilation and computer scientists in Spire as well as scientists from around the world to assimilate unprecedented large amounts of GNSS-RO satellite data to make weather forecasts better. The successful candidates will join the NWP research team at Spire branch office in Boulder, Colorado, USA.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will work with Spire NWP research team members to implement and maintain state-of-art verification and validation community packages into Spire research weather forecast systems to assess and measure forecast skills. Responsibilities will include the following tasks:
- Implementing, testing and maintaining operational (preferably GFS) and community verification and validation packages (e.g. Model Evaluation Tools (MET)) in Spire impact modeling systems through collaboration with NCAR DTC.
- Running and monitoring verification statistics (e.g., 500mb ACC) for model control and parallel runs over a test period.
- Verifying atmospheric temperature (T), humidity (Td/RH) and winds against in-situ observations globally.
- Verifying surface 2-m T, RH, and 10-m winds against ground observations.
- Downloading GFS/GSI data to initialize Spire model for weather forecasts.
- Comparing precipitation forecast maps over CONUS among Spire research model and national operational models.
- Setting up automatic validation scores comparison among various control and parallels runs over any given period of time.
- Assisting model developers with validation scores to diagnose and correct model biases to improve validation scores.
- Working with team members to measure the impact of GNSS-RO satellite data on validation scores (e.g., 500mb ACC).
- Applicant must have either a MS or Ph.D. degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, or equivalent working experience in NWP model verification and validation fields.
- Experience in using operational NWP model verification packages (preferably GFS) for global model verification/validation and/or community-based (e.g. MET) verification packages.
- Experience and knowledge in writing and using UNIX scripts to import data via FTP from multiple sources as well as to handle a large amount of NWP model output to produce statistics, diagnostics, and validation score plots.
- Experience with use of GSI to initialize NWP models are highly desirable.
- Experience and knowledge in computer-based statistics data analysis and post-processing are desirable.
- Fluent knowledge of programming languages (Fortran-90 and scripting) for debugging and optimizing codes in Linux/Unix environment is required.
- Experience in the use of graphical display packages (e.g. NCL, GrADS) is desirable.
- Demonstration of the ability to work as part of a development team is necessary.
Head of Talent, Asia
Spire Global Singapore Pte Limited
28 Maxwell Road #04-07, The Red Dot Traffic Building Singapore 069120
(or Reverse Date),