[Met-jobs] Spire seeking Data Assimilation Scientists to join elite weather team in Boulder, CO
Spire Global (www.spire.com
) is looking for two experienced data assimilation scientists to join our team in Boulder, CO. You'll work alongside industry veterans to explore and advance the capabilities of our remote sensing nano-satellite constellation, with a focus on integrating our unique high-frequency GNSS-Radio Occultation and other data sources to improve global weather forecasting.
If you're interested, please read the following description and apply directly via the link provided.
Data Assimilation Scientist
Spire Global is seeking two Data Assimilation (DA) scientists who will contribute toward the Company’s effort of developing advanced DA methods in support of our satellite missions. This is an exciting opportunity for motivated scientists to make a difference through advancing DA techniques in order to assimilate unprecedented large amounts of Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) and other satellite data and make weather forecasts better. Successful candidates will join the DA Team under the Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) Branch at Spire office in Boulder, Colorado, USA. They will have opportunities to work with top-level scientists at Spire as well as scientists from around the world on impactful issues that are truly global.
The successful candidates will work with Spire DA and NWP team members to implement and evaluate cutting-edge DA methods in order to assimilate large amounts of GNSS-RO and other satellite data into the Spire global model.
Responsibilities will include the following tasks:
- Proposing innovative approaches to DA, data processing and quality control.
- Developing and implementing the DA systems capable of assimilating GNSS-RO and other satellite data into the Spire global model.
- Evaluating impact of GNSS-RO data through data sensitivity studies, such as Observing System Experiments (OSE) and Observing System Simulation Experiments (OSSE).
- Working with NWP team members to evaluate DA impact on the forecast improvement.
- Working with software engineering to develop effective software solutions.
- Presenting research findings at scientific conferences and workshops.
- MS or PhD degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, or equivalent working experience in data assimilation.
- Working experience with cutting-edge DA methods, such as 3D-Var, 4D-Var, ensemble Kalman filter and hybrid ensemble-variational methods.
- Working experience with DA systems involving complex NWP models, such as WRF, GFS and ECMWF forecast models.
- Fluent knowledge of programming languages (Fortran-90 and scripting) for debugging and optimizing codes in Linux/Unix environment is required.
- Working experience with GSI (Gridpoint Statistical Interpolation) DA system is desirable.
- Hands-on experience with GNSS-RO forward operators is desirable.
- Experience and knowledge of computer-based statistics, data analysis and post-
- processing are desirable.
- Experience in the use of graphical display packages (e.g. NCL, GrADS) is
- Demonstration of the ability to work as part of a development team is necessary.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin upon the receipt of applications and continue until the positions are filled.
Annual Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
(or Reverse Date),