|From||Jennifer Reddell <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date||Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:56:20 -0500|
Dynamic Vegetation Modeler - 81688
Organization: CE-Climate & Ecosystems
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, finance or other operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
Berkeley Lab’s Climate & Ecosystems Sciences Division has an opening for a Career or Career Track Scientist position. As a terrestrial modeler, you will focus on vegetation dynamics, including successional, competitive, and demographic processes, at regional to global scales, with a focus on development and analyses in the ACME Earth System Model. The position also calls for expertise in numerical methods for land-surface modeling, uncertainty quantification and assimilation, and land-atmosphere interactions and feedbacks. We seek interdisciplinary expertise and interest in diverse terrestrial systems. Berkeley Lab is a renowned center of scientific expertise in many facets of climate-related fundamental and applied science.
This position will focus on developing, testing, and applying coupled dynamic vegetation models with explicit plant functional traits sufficiently robust and mechanistic to represent high-latitude, temperate, and tropical systems. The specific analyses will depend on the experience and interest of the successful candidate. An important goal of the work will be integration in ACME for analyses focused on carbon-climate interactions. This integration may require novel treatments of spatial heterogeneity and scaling, so experience in representing fine-resolution land features across spatial scales will be valuable. Analyzing feedbacks between the atmosphere and terrestrial biosphere will be an important component of the research.
What You Will Do - Career Track Level:
• Use state-of-the-art regional- to global-scale coupled dynamic vegetation models
• Develop numerical representations of complex inter-related terrestrial ecosystem processes suitable for site, regional, and global scale models
• Apply state-of-the-art parameter uncertainty and calibration methods
• Develop and use coupled atmosphere and land-surface models to characterize feedbacks
• Work as a member of a large multidisciplinary research team.
• Author technical reports and publish in peer-reviewed journal articles.
• May present results in group project meetings, seminars and/or conferences
In addition to the above, responsibilities for Career level:
• Supervise technical staff including the mentoring of students and/or Postdocs.
• Assist in or independently prepare proposals; begin to obtain independent funding
• May lead or manage small independent projects or projects under the PI’s mentorship.
• Present results in group project meetings, seminars and/or conferences
• May participate on committees that serve the Lab and/or scientific community
What Is Required - Career Track Level:
• Two to five years of experience, past highest degree (PhD) or equivalent work experience
• Ability to develop representations of complex inter-related terrestrial ecosystem processes suitable for global scale models
• Ability to analyze coupled atmosphere and land-surface models to characterize feedbacks
• Strong mathematical skills
• Ability to work creatively, independently, and productively
• Participation in preparation of proposals
• Oral and written presentation of results
• Ability to work in an integrated team environment
In addition to the above, the requirements for a Career Level:
• Four to five years of experience, past highest degree (PhD) or equivalent work experience.
• May have previous experience working as a scientist
• May have experience supervising staff or oversight for small projects
Additional Desired Qualifications for both levels:
• Preference given to applicants with a Ph.D. in Ecosystem sciences, Biogeochemistry, Ecology, or a related field
Notes: This is a 1 year, career-track term appointment that may be renewed to a maximum of five years and that may be converted to career based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
This position requires completion of a background check. Classification will depend upon the applicant's level of skills, knowledge, and abilities.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=52453 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
Ad Club Advertising
Toll Free: 800.333.1228
Toll Free Fax: 800.759.4675
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.