|From||"Letscher, Reiner" <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date||Mon, 16 Nov 2015 09:58:27 +0000|
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is a multidisciplinary center for climate and Earth system research located in Hamburg, Germany. Within the department “The Ocean in the Earth System” (OES, director: Prof. Jochem Marotzke), we seek an outstanding candidate to fill the position of a
Group leader/research scientist (f/m, Ref. MPIM-W016)
in the area of
Using ocean observations to understand climate processes and to evaluate climate models
The exact subfield within this area is open; a non-exclusive list includes observations of ocean heat content; observations of ocean circulation via satellite altimetry, gravity measurements, or in-situ; or observations of surface exchanges via remote sensing. Depending on qualifications, the position will be filled at the research scientist level (within the Director’s research group, co-led by Prof. Jochem Marotzke and Dr. Johann Jungclaus), or the successful candidate will establish his or her own research group within OES. As a group leader, he or she would have considerable flexibility to define his or her own research agenda within the strategic aims of OES, would be supported in acquiring extramural funds, would receive technical support for making observations, and would have access to PhD studentships from our graduate school IMPRS-ESM.
- PhD in physical oceanography, physical climate science, or a related field;
- Outstanding research capability as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications;
- Experience in making and interpreting ocean observations, either in-situ or remotely sensed;
- Strong motivation to establish a distinct research profile;
- For appointment at group leader level, demonstrated research leadership or promise thereof, as well as willingness to engage in PhD education.
Experience in evaluating climate models is highly desired.
- The position is offered for up to five years, starting as soon as possible and with the possibility of renewal; renewal would be subject to performance and applicable conditions of employment.
- Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E14), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science and those of the German civil service.
- The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology seeks to increase the number of female scientist and encourages them to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Candidates will be evaluated according to their qualifications and ability to fulfill the requirements outlined above.
How to submit your application for this post
1) A cover letter
2) A detailed curriculum vitae
3) A one-page statement of research interests, accomplishments, and plans
4) The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references
by uploading the documents in our online Webtool:
Deadline for applying
This vacancy has been opened 16 November 2015. A first cut-off date for the collection of the applications is foreseen on 10 January 2016. If the position is not filled, this vacancy announcement will be re-published indicating a second cut-off date.
Further information on this position
For further information, please contact Professor Jochem Marotzke (jochem.marotzke(at)mpimet.mpg.de). Please do not forward your application to this email address; the applications need to be submitted through the online Webtool (see link above).
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.