|From||"Letscher, Reiner" <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date||Fri, 2 Oct 2015 09:32:07 +0000|
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is a multidisciplinary center for climate and Earth system research located in Hamburg, Germany. In the Project “Short-term climate dynamics and biogeochemical processes in the Gulf of Taranto: From regional proxy variations to climate records” funded by the German Research Foundation we have an open positions for a
Postdoctoral Scientist (m/f) for biogeochemical modelling of the Mediterranean Sea (Ref. MPIM-W011)
The successful candidate will perform and analyze simulations with a coupled marine biogeochemistry physical ocean model of the Mediterranean. The goal of the work is to apply this model system to understand past climate variability in the Gulf of Taranto and the western Adriatic recorded in marine sediment cores. The model system consists of a regional set up of the ocean circulation model MPIOM which drives the marine biogeochemistry model HAMOCC. The latter includes a representation of sedimentary processes, one focus of this study. The candidate will also contribute to further development of this model part. The work will be performed in close cooperation with geologists at the University of Hamburg who provide data of sediments records from the region in focus.
· A PhD in marine biogeochemistry/oceanography or a related science.
· Experience in performing and analyzing experiments with a comprehensive marine biogeochemistry or ocean model;
· Strong motivation and ability to carry out model development in an interdisciplinary and international environment;
· Ability and desire to work in a closely cooperating interdisciplinary team;
· Excellent communication skills and publication record;
· Familiarity with coding and running computer models, very good programming skills in FORTRAN (on a Linux platform) and scripting;
· Knowledge of the models HAMOCC or MPIOM would be of advantage.
· The position is offered for two years starting at January 1, 2016 or later.
· Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E14), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
· The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology seeks to increase the number of female scientist and encourages them to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities as outlined for this project.
How to submit your application for this post
1) A cover letter
2) A detailed curriculum vitae
3) The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two references
by uploading the documents in our online Webtool:
Deadline for applying
This vacancy has been opened 1 October 2015. A first cut-off date for the collection of the applications is foreseen on 8 November 2015. If the position is not filled, this vacancy announcement will be re-published indicating a second cut-off date.
Further information on this position
For further information, please contact Uwe Mikolajewicz (uwe.mikolajewicz(at) mpimet.mpg.de) or Katharina Six (katharina.six(at)mpimet.mpg.de). Do not forward your application to this email address, the applications need to be submitted through the online Webtool (see link above).
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.