VACANCY: Data management and visualisation for the Sur Baleares project at SOCIB
Location: SOCIB - Balearic Islands Coastal Observing and Forecasting System, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Contract length: 3 years
Post will remain open until filled.
In the SUR_BALEARES Project, the applicant will work to guarantee a seamless access to the data streams generated by the different platforms included in the Sur Bareares project. This includes the registration of platforms, the processing, quality control and visualisation of observations, both in real-time and delayed mode.
The main tasks are:
1. Registration of the platforms deployed during Sur baleares and management of the generated data.
2. Implementation of automatic, world class quality checks on data, based on existing references.
3. General improvement of the data access for different types of users, through the development of specific web applications and services.
Education and experience:
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong background in programming and data base management.
The applicant will have specific education in quality control systems and data visualisation.
Experience in atmospheric and oceanic sciences is also welcome.
Preferred knowledge and skills:
- Data analysis tools, preferably using python (NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib) or MATLAB/Octave.
- Relational Databases, preferably PostgreSQL/PostGIS.
- NetCDF format and CF (Climate and Forecast) conventions. Specifically, treatment of different data types: time series, grids (2D/3D/4D), trajectories, etc.
- Development and maintenance of software for automatic Quality Assessment and Quality Control procedures.
- Experience in programming in Java.
Finally, teamwork skills are essential, as the tasks will be carried out in close collaboration with enthusiastic teams of computer specialists, scientists, technicians and engineers.
For further information please send detailed CV, explicitly indicating your experiences and skills related to the post, as well as details on two potential sources of references to email@example.com
. Please indicate the vacancy number 3 in the email subject.