|From||De Élia, Ramon <Deelia.firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Date||Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:40:52 -0500|
Research assistant in production and analysis of regional climate simulations
Ouranos is a consortium in regional climatology and adaptation to climate change. Working with partners and collaborators, the consortium develops the knowledge necessary for impact assessment and tools to aid in adaptation to climate change in Quebec and other regions of Canada (www.ouranos.ca).
We are looking for a young regional climate specialist to contribute to the "KlimEx" collaborative research project with LMU (Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich) with a particular expertise in the use and analysis of a Regional Climate Model (RCM). The position will focus on producing and analysing a very large ensemble of RCM projections, driven by about thirty members of a single global climate model. This project is funded by the Bavarian Government.
- Test configuration and run the CRCM5 (Canadian Regional Climate Model) on the Super-MUC (http://www.lrz.de/services/compute/supermuc/) over limited area domains covering Bavaria and parts of North America;
- Ensure basic quality control of outputs in terms of its historical simulated climate;
- Investigate natural climate variability in relation with the historical climate and its projected change, with
- special interest towards extremes;
- Interact with the project collaborators to ensure proper follow-up of project;
- Contribute to the writing of scientific articles and scientific documents;
- Communicate results to the project collaborators and in scientific conferences.
Education and experience:
- An experienced MSc or recent PhD in atmospheric science, engineering, mathematics, geosciences or a related discipline;
- Experience in running a dynamical climate model and analysing its output;
- Solid knowledge in scientific programming and statistics;
Skills and abilities:
- Solid knowledge in scientific programming in a Linux environment with shell scripts and various programming languages (e.g., FORTRAN, C);
- Excellent skills in analysing very large data archives with data analysis software and tools such as Python, R, MATLAB, including validation against observational datasets;
- Ability to work on a High Performance Computer is an asset;
- Very good knowledge of regional climate modelling;
- Able to work independently and take relevant initiatives;
- Strong ability to synthesize results and direct them towards problem solving;
- Demonstrated skill in written and oral communication in English, and oral in French is an asset;
- Able to travel outside Quebec (e.g., Bavaria);
Duration: Fixed-term contract for the project starts in spring 2015 for three years. Location: Ouranos, 550 Sherbrooke St. W., 19th floor, Montreal (Québec), Canada
Please send your curriculum vitae to: email@example.com before March 12, 2015, 5:00 pm
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.