Director of the Energy, Environment and Water Research Center (EEWRC)
Closing date: 24 January 2015
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institutionn based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees (www.cyi.ac.cy). Research at the Cyprus Institute is conducted through its three interdisciplinary research centers: the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (EEWRC), and the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC). Its Educational activities are pursued through its Graduate School, which currently offers only doctoral Degrees. (http://www.cyi.ac.cy/education.html).
The Director of the EEWRC will be responsible for the general operation and conduct of all affairs of the research center. He/she will work in Cyprus, and will be offered a tenured Professorship, with an internationally attractive salary and benefits package, commensurate to his/her high degree of responsibility and qualification.
The incumbent should be an outstanding individual with strong leadership qualities, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in research management. He/she must have a scientific record of the highest international level, research expertise and leadership competencies in one of the scientific directions pursued by the EEWRC that can be effectively pursued at CyI with his/her involvement anda strong vision of the role of research and education.
The candidate must have excellent managerial, interpersonal and leadership skills, with strong capacities for managing human resources, and for generating and maintaining contacts in the academic, business and governmental circles, as well as obtaining support from them for the Center. Proficiency in spoken and written English is indispensable.
The Director of EEWRC will be responsible for the conduct of all affairs of the research center, and will report to the Vice President for Research of CyI.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected candidate will undertake the responsibility of the general management of the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC) and will be part of the managing team of the Institute:
· To plan, develop and implement the research agenda of the Center.
· To develop and implement strategies appropriate to the Center’s mission and objectives.
· To recruit the Center’s research staff, and to generally manage, develop, appraise and motivate the staff members of the Center to carry out and achieve the center’s research objectives.
· To develop and oversee the Center’s financial budgets.
· To develop and improve the research and laboratory facilities of the Center
· To collaborate closely with the CyI leadership for the continuous development of the Center
· To raise financial and other resources to support the research agenda and development of the Center
· To undertake tasks and initiatives in relation to her/his faculty appointment
Applicants should submit: (i) a CV including a list of publications, a compilation of research grants obtained, and relevant managerial experience, and (ii) a short, up to two pages vision statement and iii) a list of five potential referees (incl. their contact details). To be assured full consideration, applications should be received by the 24th January 2015 via e-mail to HR[at]cyi.ac.cy showing the following reference in the subject heading: EEWRC_DIR_14_08. For further information please contact Dr. Michalis S. Yiangou (firstname.lastname@example.org). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.