Vice President for Research of the Cyprus Institute
Closing date: 24 January 2015
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees (www.cyi.ac.cy). Research at the Cyprus Institute is conducted through its three interdisciplinary research centers: the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC), and the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC). Its Educational activities are pursued through its Graduate School, which currently offers only doctoral Degrees. (http://www.cyi.ac.cy/education.html).
Reporting to the CyI President, the Vice President for Research (VPR) will be responsible for implementing and furthering the Institute's overall research agenda. The selected candidate will be awarded a tenured Professorship at CyI.
The selected candidate will be located in Cyprus, and will be offered an internationally attractive salary and benefits package, commensurate to his/her high degree of responsibility and qualification.
The successful candidate is expected to be a scholar of international standing with strong leadership qualities and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in research management. He/she must have a scientific record of the highest international level, research expertise and leadership competencies in one of the scientific directions pursued by the Institute that can be effectively pursued with his/her involvement, a strong vision of the role of research and of the importance of science and technology capacity building in Europe and in the Eastern Mediterranean. Previous responsibility for institution building and/or managing complex projects from development to implementation would be a strong advantage. Proficiency in spoken and written English is indispensable.
She/he will be expected to:
(i) Expand alliances with peer Institutions business and government entities that will lead to increased research opportunities for the Institute; (ii) coordinate the Institute’s research activities by internally promoting selected research opportunities and identifying national and international trends in which the Institute should participate; (iii) recommend research-related policies and practices to the Institute’s leadership; (iv) initiate technology transfer and economic development activities; and (v) undertake tasks and initiatives in relation to her/his faculty appointment
Duties and Responsibilities
In detail, the overall objectives, duties and responsibilities of the Vice President for Research are the following:
· To promote the development of CyI as a novel research and educational institution.
· To develop CyI’s research strategy within the strategic and policy guidelines set down by the Institute’s Board
· To lead and enable research initiatives and activities.
· To recruit and to recommend staffing strategies for the Institute’s research division including the performance management, development and motivation of the Institute’s research staff members
· To coordinate the Research Strategy of the Institute’s Centers in collaboration with the Center Directors;
· To coordinate the development of the research budget of the Institute.
· To establish and maintain links with and between CyI’s research sponsors.
· To support the Institute’s Office of Sponsored Research in coordinating, identifying and pursuing research funding sources.
Applicants should submit: (i) a CV including a list of publications, a compilation of research grants obtained, and relevant managerial experience, and (ii) a short, up to two pages vision statement and iii) a list of five potential referees (incl. their contact details). To be assured full consideration, applications should be received by the 24th January 2015 via e-mail to HR[at]cyi.ac.cy showing the following reference in the subject heading: CYI_VPR_14_02. For further information please contact Dr. Michalis S. Yiangou (firstname.lastname@example.org). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.