HAMTEC Consulting a provider of quality staff to the aerospace industry.
We are currently seeking a University educated engineer i(or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, with at least 3 years of experience in engineering of Ground Segment data processing elements for Earth Observation missions, including requirements specification, definition of interfaces, architecture and testing concepts.
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: June 2014
Closing date: 5 May 2014
The Candidate will carry out tasks which support activities related to initially Phase B followed by phases C/D of the EPS-SG Programme in the area of ground segment engineering. In this context attention is drawn to the mandatory nature of the programme.
In the detail, support will be provided for the following tasks:
- Support to the definition of data processing concepts and their implications on Ground Segment interfaces and architecture, analysis of requirements and constraints imposed on Ground Segment data processing elements, including their impact and criticality,
- specification and maintenance of Ground Segment and lower level requirements in DOORS with associated traceability and verification methods, including the development of testing concepts and test scenarios, and justification of requirements to be documented in the Ground Segment Design Justification File;
- Maintenance of the functional and architectural model of Ground Segment data processing elements with the selected Model Based System Engineering (MBSE) methodology and contribution to the Ground Segment preliminary design definition to be documented in the Ground Segment Architectural Design Document and contribution to the Ground Segment Integration, Verification and Validation (IVV) approach definition for data processing elements, and specification of Interface Requirements Documents (IRDs);
- Performance of trade-offs to assess effectiveness, risks and costs of alternative architectural and technical solutions in the area of data processing and support to the compilation and maintenance of data processing engineering budgets such as data and products volumes, products generation timeliness;
- Support to the procurement of Ground Segment data processing elements by advising on technical solutions proposed by the contractor and by reviewing documentation to confirm its compliance with the requirements, along with support to testing, integration and acceptance of Ground Segment data processing elements by reviewing testing documentation, managing procurement of test data where appropriate and evaluating coherence and adequacy of integration and system level tests.
- Support to anomaly maintenance and evolutions: For maintenance, characterisation of system component behaviour against required performance, maintenance of a systematic overview of anomaly contexts, and proposal and implementation of system alterations (including component modification) to achieve required performance; for evolutions, conceptual design, requirements specification, functional modelling, system analysis, and concept development to support increased performance, rationalisation of components, and cost reduction, along with monitoring and supporting the implementation of evolutions, and documenting the resulting revised relationships between component clusters, functional models, and requirements.
In addition, there will be regular involvement in the following tasks requiring interaction and coordination with other teams at System and Ground Segment level:
- Review of System, Space Segment and Ground Segment documentation dealing with requirements, concepts, algorithms and technical analyses of relevance for data processing, including review of instrument data processing algorithms and calibration concepts defined by the Space Segment with emphasis on their implications on Ground Segment data processing concepts, interfaces and architecture;
- Participation in formal reviews and technical meetings at System and Ground Segment level.
Review of documentation dealing with technical evolutions of the EUMETSAT infrastructure;
Qualifications and Experience
- A University degree in the engineering domain or equivalent;
- At least 3 years of experience in engineering of Ground Segment data processing elements for Earth Observation missions, including requirements specification, definition of interfaces, architecture and testing concepts;
- At least 3 years of direct involvement in specification, design, development and/or procurement of at least two of the following Ground Segment elements:
- Processing infrastructure for Level 1 and Level 2 data processing;
- Level 1 instrument data processors;
- Front-end and L0 processing
- Requirements management in DOORS;
- Experience with formal system architectural modelling and design tools;
- Knowledge of ECSS and CCSDS standards;
- Knowledge of Calibration / Validation activities for Earth Observation products;
- Experience in specification, development and/or procurement of instrument test data and processor prototypes for Earth Observation missions
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via email@example.com
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website: