EPS-SG End-to-End Instrument Chains Engineer based at EUMETSAT, Darmstadt, Germany
HAMTEC Consulting a provider of quality staff to the aerospace industry.
We are currently seeking a University educated engineer in the domain of engineering, science, or equivalent, with at least 5 years of experience in the field of engineering of space and/or ground systems, in the area of Earth observation from space.
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: ASAP
Closing date: 10 February 2014
The activities for the selected key-person will be related to overall System aspects for end-toend instrument chains, i.e. involving the space segment (satellites) as well as the ground segment, the latter consisting of the data acquisition systems, monitoring and control systems, data processing facilities and product dissemination facilities.
The key-person will typically provide support for the following tasks (contributing directly to the tasks and/or following up work done in other teams):
- Identification of contributors to performances (radiometric / spectral / geometric); allocation / apportionment to elements of the instrument chains.
- Definition of approach for performance modelling; review of adequacy of related modelling tools.
- Compilation and analysis of end-to-end performance budgets, as needed collecting input from space and ground segment studies; cross check against applicable requirements.
- Definition of overall approach for the development, verification and validation (V&V) of the processing chains as part of the overall EPS-SG System.
- Identification of implications of processing concepts for System / ground segment requirements, architecture and design.
- Identification of required tools and test data for the development and V&V of the processing chains; as relevant generation of technical documents to support tool development / procurement.
- Support for the development of relevant tools and the generation of required test data sets.
- Following up of validation of processing algorithms and of verification of processing chains in the ground segment as relevant for System V&V of the end-to-end instrument chains.
Instrument calibration & product validation:
- Analysis of the implications of instrument calibration concepts for the System and ground segment and specifically for on-ground data processing.
- Support for the definition of the required infrastructure to perform tuning / maintenance of calibration data and to validate generated products.
In addition the key-person will be involved in some more general tasks:
- Regular review of System level documentation dealing with requirements, system concepts, architecture and design, technical analyses, to identify information of importance for end-to-end instrument chains.
- In addition, and with the same aim, analysis of documents provided by other teams in EUMETSAT and by external partners.
- Support for coordination of interdisciplinary meetings of relevance for the instrument chains.
- Support for the preparation of documentation for System level reviews, during the covered period mainly the System Requirements Review and the Preliminary Design Review.
Most activities will involve interactions with other teams, primarily in the LEO division, and also, as relevant for the work, with engineers at partner agencies.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in the domain of engineering, science, or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of engineering of space and/or ground systems, in the area of Earth observation from space.
- At least 5 years of direct involvement in the development of relevant instruments (EPSSG satellites will embark sounders and imagers from the ultraviolet to the microwave range, a scatterometer and a radio-occultation instrument) and/or the related on-ground processing chain, with an in-depth understanding of mutual implications.
- Good overall knowledge of instruments, the platform environment, processing algorithms, ground segment environment, to the extent relevant for end-to-end instrument chains.
- Demonstrated ability to perform analyses of a System (combined space and ground segment) top down and to perform syntheses and compile technical budgets bottom up.
· Familiarity with the development of test tools and the generation of test data sets.
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via firstname.lastname@example.org
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website: