|From||Asha Parmar <Asha.Parmar@serco.com>|
|Date||Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:35:54 +0000|
Classification: Serco Public
Multi-Sensor Aerosol Product Implementation Engineer, based at EUMETSAT, Darmstadt, Germany
Serco is amongst the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies and has a global heritage in the Space business, operating for over 35 years Worldwide. Serco has a long-standing understanding of the space market and a worldwide client base providing operational and engineering support across International Organisations, Government Agencies, Defence, Industrial Partnerships and related Scientific Institutions. With over 1100 staff in the space business covering a wide spectrum of qualifications and skills, it is our track record in such a wide range of market sectors and geographies that allows us to share best practice, expertise and innovation in our business solutions today.
Serco Europe employees have provided their skilled competence for various European space missions since the inception of a co-ordinated European space organisation. Our ongoing commitments within the industry cover: Earth Observation, Meteorological Services, Space Science, Technology, Telecommunications and Human Spaceflight, as both an integrated services and managed space resources provider.
At the heart of our approach is the recognition that a good business depends on good people. We ensure that we continue to have the people and expertise that we need to face both the challenges of today and those of tomorrow - our people are our key assets.
For our activities in EUMETSAT, we are currently seeking a Multi-Sensor Aerosol Product Implementation Engineer to work in the Technical and Scientific Support (TSS) department as a member of the Remote Sensing and Products (RSP) division.
The Engineer will provide support as a member of the Atmospheric Composition Section. His/her responsibilities will cover the implementation, maintenance, updating and quality control of an existing operational multi-sensor aerosol optical properties retrieval algorithm based on data from various instruments on the EUMETSAT Polar System satellites series (METOP). The main focus of the retrievals is the exploitation of GOME-2 UV/VIS radiances and polarisation sensitive data together with IASI infra-red radiances as well as AVHRR imaging data. The tasks are carried out in close co-operation with relevant members of the atmospheric composition team and other teams in RSP.
The tasks of the Engineer will include:
· Update, maintenance and verification of an operational processor for multi-sensor satellite retrievals of aerosol optical properties from METOP data based on pre-existing proto-type versions and /or processor specifications;
· Integrating the operational processor into the operational product processing chain of the EPS ground segment;
· Developing operational continuous functional, performance and quality monitoring processes to be implemented in the EPS operational monitoring system;
· Deriving relevant data from internal and external sources to support product quality monitoring in the EPS operational monitoring system;
· Performing off-line analysis of processor performance and product quality;
· Supporting the validation of aerosol products from EPS, and the compilation of the relevant product validation reports.
· Contributing to the update of the product specification and algorithm specification for multi-sensor satellite retrievals of aerosol optical properties from METOP;
· Reporting anomalies in aerosol product services, contribute to their diagnosis and track their resolution;
Qualifications and Requirements:
Applicants require a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, the Engineer shall have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in development and implementation of software for operational processing of satellite or meteorological data.
The Engineer shall have a minimum of 3 years work experience in UNIX application development and testing in C and C++. Experience in scientific processing in general and the Fortran programming language would be a distinct advantage.
· Quality control of satellite data and products,
· Operational product processing environments
· Software build environments and tools (e.g. make, imake, eclipse, insure++);
· Source code control system, (e.g. Subversion or CVS);
· Experience and skills in working in projects and environments characterised by a diversity of stakeholders.
· Inverse modelling of atmospheric composition using (vector) radiative transfer models;
· Aerosol optical properties retrieval from satellite data;
· Calibration and validation of satellite products;
· Knowledge of the EPS missions and instruments.
· Java programming;
· Experience with Scripting languages e.g. Python, Perl, Tcl/Tk, shell;
· Production monitoring and reporting
The Engineer shall be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and structured manner, shall be able to work calmly and correctly under stress and must be able to work with the minimum of supervision.
The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore Engineers must be able to work effectively in this language and have knowledge of the other.
If you are interested in this vacancy, and think you have the skills and experience required, please apply by either clicking on, or copying into your browser, the URL below.
If you have any question regarding this position please e-mail email@example.com
If you are not yet registered with Serco we advise you to “register your details” by adding your details and attaching your CV via https://www.amris.com/serco/alerts_signup_form.php
For additional information about Serco Group please consult our website www.serco.com
For additional information about Serco Europe please consult our website www.serco.com/europe
For additional information about EUMETSAT, please consult http://www.eumetsat.int
All applicants must hold a current valid work permit for Germany or be EU nationals.
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.