HAMTEC Consulting a provider of quality staff to the aerospace industry.
We are currently seeking a University educated engineer in meteorology, atmospheric physics, remote sensing, or equivalent. He/she shall have a minimum of three year’s experience in the field of remote sensing.
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: May 2013
Closing date: 15 March 2013
In-house support is sought for the ongoing scientific activities in preparation for a future 3MI mission to be flown on the EUMETSAT Polar System – Second Generation.
The Candidate will provide support within the Atmospheric Composition Team in the Remote Sensing and Products (RSP) Division of EUMETSAT, located in Darmstadt, Germany. He/she will be fully integrated in the Atmospheric Composition Team and will interface with in-house experts of various disciplines (system, instruments, operations, science), and in particular members of the Post-EPS Science Team within the RSP Division.
The tasks of the Candidate will include:
- Development of algorithms for calibration of 3MI level 0 data with a particular focus on vicarious calibration techniques;
- Taking into account the constraints imposed by the final goal of implementation of the products within an operational processing system;
- Development of prototype software code for the purposes of testing and validation the algorithms developed;
- Development of an instrument performance model based on specifications to be provided by industry;
- Generation of test data required for the verification of the algorithm and products;
- Generation of associated documentation including test data descriptions, Product Generation Specification (PGS), technical reports etc;
- Interfacing with experts across EUMETSAT as needed;
- Collaboration with expert groups and the wider scientific community outside EUMETSAT as appropriate;
- Provision of support to algorithm, and potentially prototype software development activities, for future level 2 product development for the 3MI instrument.
In addition the Candidate will provide support to:
- Assessment of results from scientific studies,
- Refinement of mission requirements in response to expert advice and results of scientific studies,
- Scientific assessments related to requirements refinements,
- Interaction with expert teams and the conduct of expert team meetings,
- Participation in reviews.
The tasks will evolve as the EPS-SG specifications mature in the coming years.
Qualifications and Experience
- Have a university degree in meteorology, atmospheric physics, remote sensing, or equivalent.
- He/she shall have a minimum of three year’s experience in the field of remote sensing.;
- Experience in atmospheric remote sensing in the optical spectrum (Ultraviolet to Infrared),
- Experience in radiative transfer,
- Familiarity with instrument calibration and characterisation
- Familiarity with Earth observation systems in operational meteorology, atmospheric composition and climate monitoring (both remote sensing and in situ systems),
- Handling and processing of remote sensing data,
- Very good skills in a higher programming language (e.g. Fortran, C++).
- Quality control of satellite data and products;
- Operational product processing environments;
- Software build environments and tools (e.g. make, imake, eclipse, insure++);
- Source code control system, (e.g. Subversion or CVS).
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via firstname.lastname@example.org
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website:
+44 7921 212785