|From||"Heeren, Matthias" <Matthias.Heeren@wsv.bund.de>|
|Date||Mon, 5 Nov 2012 08:54:30 +0100|
The research and development department of the German Meteorological Service (DWD) at Frankfurt/Offenbach is looking for a
Reference code 20120021_9334
to be filled as soon as possible for a temporary position until 30.09.2015 within the HD(CP)2 project.
The HD(CP)2 project (high definition clouds and precipition for climate
prediction) aims to improve precipitation forecasts and to reduce uncertainty
in climate simulations. The entire project comprises in total about 50
A thorough validation strategy is essential for assessing the skill of the ICON model . This will then allow detecting strengths and weaknesses in the model, especially in the representation of clouds and precipitation, and thus contribute to model improvements.
The job description includes the following activities:
· Development of concepts and methods for model validation and verification
· Comparison of model data, representing small-scale phenomena, with highly-resolved remote sensing data for case studies and interpretation of results
· Coordination of technical requirements needed for the development
· Documentation of procedures and results, including presentation at internal and external meetings and in scientific journals
Necessary requirements for the candidates are:
· Scientific studies with a master degree or diploma, preferably in meteorology, mathematics or physics
· Knowledge of english (Level C1 CEFR) and german (Level B1 CEFR) languages
Further essential experiences:
· Solid knowledge in the field of general meteorology
· Knowledge in the field of meteorological research and development
· Knowledge and experiences in the field of numerical weather forecasting, as well as in the use and processing of model output
· Knowledge and experiences in the field of verification of scientific algorithms
· Knowledge and experiences with remote sensing data, especially radar
· Firm knowledge and experiences with programming languages, e.g. FORTRAN, and with visualisation tools
· Firm knowledge and experiences in the use of the operating systems Windows and UNIX/Linux
· Ability to think and act conceptually and target-oriented
· Good motivation and initiative
· Good scientific working skills as well as skills in the presentation of scientific results
· Good skills in communication and cooperation (in an international environment)
· Quick perception and ability to integrate in existing environments
· Ability to transfer complex theoretical approaches into practical methods
Knowledge of meteorological data formats (z.B. GRIB, BUFR) is advantageous.
The post is rated according to EG 13 TvöD (see http://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/tvoed/bund/). The assignment of levels will be carried out according to personal experiences.
Part-time assignment is possible.
The Deutsche Wetterdienst supports work-family-balance and has been certified accordingly. Further information is available at: www.beruf-und-familie.de.
Women with equivalent skills and experiences will be given preference according to the law about equal opportunities.
Seriously disabled applicants with equal competences will be given preference. Only a minimum of physical ability is needed.
If your interests have been aroused, please apply until 22.11.2012 via the Electronic Application Process on the website http://jobboerse.bmvbs.de.
For further administrative advice please contact Frau Isabel Seeber, Tel.: 0049 69/8062-4256.
Description: Ausschreibungstext Englisch.pdf
Go to: Periods · List Information · Index by: Date (or Reverse Date), Thread, Subject or Author.