HAMTEC Consulting a provider of quality staff to the aerospace industry.
We are currently seeking a University educated engineer who shall have experience of instrument scientific data simulation and software development and testing.
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: As soon as Feasible
Closing date: 27 April 2012
The Candidate will be integrated into the Instrument Functional Chain Engineering group of the MTG System Engineering team. The general task of the Candidate will be to provide the instrument source and reference data sets and use them with the MTG Payload Data Generator (PDG) to derive the scenario data sets needed for system verification and ground segment testing. In addition the Candidate will provide data sets in support of level 1 and 2 algorithm development. The Candidate will also support the procurement, verification and installation of the PDG at EUMETSAT.
In particular the tasks will include:
- Analysis of the Payload PDG and IQT IDS instrument and platform models to ensure their representatively with respect to the needs of the level 1 and 2 algorithm development and verification;
- Support to the definition and maintenance of PDG-GS and IQT-GS ICDs;
- Participation in the Instrument Functional Chain Engineering (IFCE) group as the instrument data simulation expert;
- Liaise with the appropriate teams to identify the needs for test data (scenario data sets) associated with the instrument functional chain verification for the System, Ground Segment and Instrument Data Processing Facility (IDPF);
- Assessment of the potential source data usable for the IQT and PDG and of the ingestion process to obtain representative reference data sets suitable for the planned test scenarios.
- Provision of the necessary source datasets needed to produce the scenario data sets for System, Ground Segment and Instrument Data Processing Facility (IDPF) verification;
- Maintenance of a test data register giving the characteristics of each type of test data available in the MTG programme, including close liaison with the MET division;
- Derivation of simplified instrument models providing basic test data to assist in level 1 and 2 algorithm development before the availability of the PDG and to check the implementation of the PDG/IQT instrument models;
- Support IV&V activities including preparation of IV&V plans;
- Participate in the PDG acceptance, verification and validation, ensuring the integration of the PDG with the EUMETSAT Ground System.
Qualifications and Experience
- A University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline;
- Experience of instrument scientific data simulation and software development and testing.
- Test data and test case management versus requirements specification.
- Global standards for data, e.g.
- NetCDF-4, HDF-5, BUFR, GRIB
- CCSDS standards for data format representation
- Procurement of satellite instrument data simulators from industry, including procurement reviews, monitoring, verification and testing.
- Design of satellite instrument data simulation systems and acquisition of simulated satellite instrument data sets. The ability to obtain a full system overview in the area of responsibility.
- Very good communication, presentation and listening skills.
- The ability to work as a trusted member of an extended team with diverse areas of interest.
- Experience of satellite instrument data usage and processing.
- The ability to perform under high workloads.
- The ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- A high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills.
- Practical knowledge of as many as possible of the following will be an advantage:
- Requirements specification, development, acquisition, testing, integration, verification and commissioning/validation of satellite radiometers and sounders.
- Rapid algorithm prototyping and test data generation.
- Tools supporting the above:
- Tool based requirements management (e.g. IBM DOORs)
- Production programming languages (e.g., C++, Java, XML)
- Prototyping tools (e.g., Python, IDL/PV-Wave)
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via firstname.lastname@example.org
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website: