HAMTEC Consulting a provider of quality staff to the aerospace industry.
We are currently seeking a University educated engineer who shall have a minimum of three years’ experience in software engineering for operational processing of satellite or meteorological data.
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: As soon as Feasible
Closing date: 13 April 2012
The Candidate will be integrated into the Data Processing Team of the MTG Ground Segment. The general task of the Candidate will be to support the procurement activities for the MTG L0, L1 and L2 product processing facilities, primarily by developing and consolidating the knowledge needed to acquire the mission data processing functionality both for on-line and off-line functions including functionality providing common services, such as data handling, processor allocation and monitoring, job control, and general M&C.
In particular the tasks will include:
- Help procure the processing functionality for L1 and L2 processors of the Imager (FCI and LI) and of the Sounder (IRS and UVN) instruments, throughout the procurement lifecycle, supporting and monitoring contractors;
- Acquire detailed knowledge on Level-1 instrument processors algorithms related to radiometric and spectral calibration, geo-location and rectification, and ensure their correct implementation in the operational software;
- Ensure that a proper knowledge transfer from industry (i.e. satellite prime and instrument manufacturers) to EUMETSAT is implemented in order to ensure long-term maintainability of the operational software;
- Interface with the MTG Science Team for all aspects related to Level-2 Algorithms definitions and production of the Product Generation Specifications;
- Follow up the operational implementations of Level-2 product processors and the related processing framework;
- Define, develop and maintain L1 and L2 processing functionality requirements and specifications including the product content and format specifications. Monitor evolution of the requirements and the applicability of their versions to procured items;
- Prepare documents to support tender actions in the area of data processing, and, potentially, evaluate responses to them;
- Monitor and assist suppliers during procurements, including contribute to reviews, verification, and testing against appropriate versions of requirements and monitoring and advising on the resolution of deviations;
- Develop and maintain, as well as support procurement of: (a) test tools and software including reference processor software that implements the functionality defined in the processing specifications; (b) test datasets that reflect the functionality defined in the processing specifications;
- Support system engineering activities, including reviews, working with the MTG System and MTG Ground Segment teams, and the MTG Science team;
- Support interactions with the Space Segment, via the System Team and in the context of the Instrument Functional Chain Engineering Groups, including supporting the review, and/or analysis, of instrument-related documentation including relevant ICDs;
Qualifications and Experience
- A University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline such as computer science, physics, mathematics or remote sensing
- A minimum of 3 year’s experience in software engineering for operational processing of satellite or meteorological data.
- Specification, development, and testing of product processors for earth observation platforms;
- Integration, Verification and Validation of data processing systems and/or product processors (L1 or L2) for satellite data or other meteorological data;
- Development and testing of operational software in UNIX environments.
- Processes, phases and documentation related to procurement of operational data processing systems in the field of Earth Observations;
- Specification and maintenance of product processors requirements and related tools (e.g. IBM DOORs);
- Image Navigation and Registration (INR) methodologies and techniques;
- Rapid algorithm prototyping and test data generation;
- Configuration Control in an operational environment;
- Formalised Software Testing;
- Global standards for data, e.g. NetCDF-4 or HDF-5 and CCSDS standards for data format representation;
- ECSS standards;
- The ability to perform under high workloads;
- A high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills;
- Very good communication, presentation and listening skills
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via email@example.com
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website: