HAMTEC Consulting a provider of quality staff to the aerospace industry.
We are currently seeking a University educated or comparable in a relevant discipline, and experience of software development and testing for operational highly available near-real-time earth observation data processing systems
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: As soon as feasible in 2012
Closing date: 20 January 2012
- The candidate will be integrated into the data processing facility team of the MTG Ground Segment. The general task of the candidate will be to support the procurement activities for the MTG L0, L1 and L2 product processing, primarily by developing and consolidating the knowledge needed to acquire the mission data processing functionality – both for on-line and off-line functions - primarily for the FCI and LI, and also for the IRS and UVN (including functionality providing common services, such as data handling, processor allocation and monitoring, job control, and general M&C)
- In particular the tasks will include:
- Help procure the processing functionality for both L1 and L2 processing of the Imager (FCI and LI) and of the Sounder (IRS and UVN) instruments, throughout the procurement lifecycle, supporting and monitoring contractors. In particular, to:
- Define, develop and maintain L0, L1 and L2 processing functionality requirements and specifications and those of the resulting L0, L1, and L2 products, including their formats. Monitor evolution of the requirements and the applicability of their versions to procured items;
- Prepare documents to support tender actions in the area of data processing, and, potentially, evaluate responses to them;
- Monitor and assist contractors during procurements, including contribute to reviews, verification, and testing against appropriate versions of requirements and monitoring and advising on the resolution of deviations;
- Develop and maintain, as well as support procurement of,
- test tools and software - including prototype software that implements the functionality defined in the processing specifications;
- test datasets that reflect the functionality defined in the processing specifications;
- Support system engineering activities, including reviews, working with the MTG System and MTG Ground Segment teams, and the MTG Science team;
- Support interactions with the Space Segment, via the System Team and in the context of the Instrument Functional Chain Engineering Groups, including supporting the review, and/or analysis, of instrument-related documentation including relevant ICDs;
- Create reports and presentations, including internal reports, on aspects of the tasks above;
- Any other tasks deemed appropriate by the technical officer in support of the overall aim of the tasks above;
- It is foreseen, given the duration of the contract, that the most time will be spent on monitoring and support of the facility suppliers, for which it will be necessary to invest a smaller but nonetheless significant amount of time developing and maintaining a strong working knowledge of the processing needed to produce the L0, L1, and L2 products, of test datasets to verify different aspects of it, and of its specification.
- In the performance of these tasks, the candidate shall comply with the applicable rules of the EUMETSAT Directory of Instructions (DI) and the EUMETSAT Management System (EMS), the applicable organisational and divisional management standards, and also with the relevant working practices and procedures as well as the organisational and divisional documentation management procedures. The set of applicable rules and working practice to be applied during the execution of the work will be made available at start of the duties in EUMETSAT.
Qualifications and Experience
- A University degree or comparable qualifications in a relevant discipline.
- Experience of software development and testing for operational highly available near-real-time earth observation data processing systems
- Specification, development, and testing of product processors for earth observation platforms;
- System software engineering in an operational earth observation environment;
- Test data development and acquisition, and test data and test case management vs requirements specifications;
- Knowledge of ECSS standards;
- The ability to obtain a full system overview in the area of responsibility;
- The ability to maintain an overview against a set requirements specifications with a managed evolution of configuration status
- Very good communication, presentation and listening skills
- The ability to earn the trust of, and work as part of a team
- The ability to perform under high workloads
- The ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment;
- A high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills;
· Procurement of operational data processing systems in the field of Earth Observations, including procurement reviews, monitoring, and verification and testing.
· Requirements specification, development, acquisition testing, integration, verification, and commissioning and validation of product processors and their support functionality.
· Rapid algorithm prototyping and test data generation in support of the above
· System software engineering in an operational environment including
· Configuration Control;
· Definition and formalization of architectures and interfaces of complex systems;
· Formalised Software Testing;
· Global standards for data, e.g.
· NetCDF-4 or HDF-5.
· CCSDS standards for data format representation;
· Tools supporting the above:
· Tool based requirements management (e.g. IBM DOORs)
· Tool based Software Architecture and Design (e.g. Enterprise Architect, UML 2.0/ SysML)
· Unit testing frameworks (e.g. JUnit, JMeter);
· Source Code control systems (e.g. subversion, git)
· Production programming languages (e.g. C++, Java)
· Prototyping tools (e.g. Python, IDL/PV-Wave)
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via email@example.com
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website: