HAMTEC Consulting a provider of quality staff to the aerospace industry.
We are currently seeking a University educated or comparable qualifications in Meteorology, Atmospheric Physics or related subjects, and a demonstrated experience of at least 3 years in the area of satellite meteorology or satellite data processing
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: As soon as feasible in 2012
Closing date: 10 December 2011
- The general task of the MTG Calibration Engineer will be the provision of support and advice to the algorithm development group for geostationary satellites within EUMETSAT’s Meteorological Division (MET). Although MET is not directly responsible for the operational product extraction, including calibration, MET supports the scientific prototyping, testing and validation of algorithms. Initially this work will focus on the calibration of solar channels of MTG-FCI, using MSG to test various algorithms.
- Specifically, the tasks of the Engineer will include:
- Support the development of the upgrade of the present SSCC system to achieve better accuracy, in particular:
- Implementation of common GSICS algorithms using Deep Convective Clouds and Rayleigh scattering over open ocean as calibration targets,
- Improved characterisation of desert targets,
- Improvement and updating of radiative transfer models;
- Support to Operations in the operational implementation of the upgraded SSCC;
- Develop, test and validate prototype code for different calibration methods;
- Analyse the performance of different calibration techniques, including lunar calibration;
- Support the development, testing and operational implementation of GSICS intercalibration algorithms – including thermal infrared as well as solar bands;
- Support in the testing and validation of algorithms for retrieval of geophysical parameters sensitive to calibration and evaluate the impact of calibration on these products.
- Documentation, including writing of Algorithm Theoretical Basis Documents (ATBDs) and reports on the above activities;
- Attending relevant meetings – both internal and international.
Qualifications and Experience
- A University degree or comparable qualifications in Meteorology, Atmospheric Physics or related subjects.
- A demonstrated experience of at least 3 years in the area of satellite meteorology or satellite data processing.
- The Engineer shall have a good knowledge and practical experience of radiative transfer in the visible, near-infrared and thermal infrared spectral ranges.
- Additionally, a good knowledge and practical experience of retrieving geophysical products from satellite instruments is required.
- The Engineer shall be able to demonstrate a good working knowledge of statistical techniques and understanding of the concepts of calibration and traceability.
- At least 3 year’s experience in software development in Fortran-90 and/or C/C++ under UNIX is required.
· Experience with graphics packages like IDL
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via firstname.lastname@example.org
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website: