[Met-jobs] Research Associate in Climate (Postdoc)
Title: Research Associate in Climate Diagnostics/Dynamics/Prediction
The mission of the Utah Climate Center is to facilitate access to climate data and information, and to use expertise in atmospheric science to interpret climate information in an accurate and innovative fashion for the varied public and private clients. A research associate position is available through the Department of Plants, Soils & Climate and the Utah Climate Center. The person will join a research project at USU aimed at documenting and understanding the distinctive wet and dry cycles of climate that so dominate the Intermountain West region.
- Employ existing data sets for tree ring and other surrogate estimates for precipitation in the Intermountain region to extend back the modern climate record. Cooperate in current efforts to use various time statistical and dynamical analyzes to quantify the magnitude and frequencies of drought and wet episodes.
- Identify large scale atmospheric and oceanic features at appropriate spatial and temporal scales that connect with the cyclical variations in wet and dry periods. Employ a synoptic climatology approach to identify connections between the characteristics of these features with low and high frequency variations in climate.
- The candidate will also have opportunities to interact with related activities in the department that connect land-atmosphere interactions, mesoscale atmospheric models and regional climate in several ecosystems.
- An earned Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences or Meteorology, with good quantitative skills.
- Interest in studies of both global and regional climate.
- Knowledge and experience of mesoscale and/or climate models.
- Experience in analyzing large simulation data sets, such as CMIP3, global and regional reanalyzes.
- Well developed computer and software programming skill set such as FORTRAN, C++, GrADS, NCL.
- A resume
- A list the names and contact information of three references.
- A cover letter that includes relevant experience.
(or Reverse Date),