Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Start Date: ASAP
Closing date: 29 July 2011
The Consultant will be initially be a member of the LEO Division reporting to the LEO Data Processing Team Leader and will interface with both the in-house experts for Sentinel-3 and with representatives of the different ESA Departments responsible for Sentinel-3 (mainly ESTEC and ESRIN).
The consultant is expected to participate in the on-site verification, validation and commissioning activities for the altimeter processing chains and to provide support for their transition into routine operations. The consultant will then move to the Meteorological Operations Division (MOD) within the Operations Department to support the day-to-day operations of the altimeter chains.
The tasks of the Altimeter Engineer will typically include:
- Participating in the establishment of the technical requirements (functional, design, performances, interfaces, availability, verification and validation) related to the GMES and Jason scientific data processing facilities (altimeter chains), assessing compliance with the relevant ground segment, end user and scientific system requirements, and mission objectives encompassing:
- data processing algorithm requirements,
- on-line and off-line quality control requirements,
- ground segment functional requirements for instrument calibration and product validation,
- Participating in the management/monitoring of the relevant facility development / procurements (e.g. data processing facilities),
- Assisting in the definition of the ground segment acceptance, integration, verification and validation plans and methods, regarding scientific data and product processing,
- Assisting in the implementation of the science data and product development, verification and validation strategy,
- Providing analytical/theoretical support to the procurement and validation activities in the areas specified above,
- Contributing to the GMES overall ground segment integration and acceptance testing approach and procedures,
- Supporting the operational activities during commissioning of the GMES ground segment,
- Supporting the transition from the commissioning to routine operations phase,
- As an MOD team member; providing post-acceptance support and contributing to the routine operations and maintenance activities.
Qualifications and Experience
- A University degree in a relevant discipline
- Demonstrated experience of ideally five years in the, development, implementation, and operation of altimeter products processing systems.
- experience of algorithm specification/development for operational scientific, meteorological and remote sensing missions;
- detailed knowledge of established altimeters, e.g. ERS RA, ENVISAT RA-2, Cryosat SIRAL, Jason-1/2 etc;
- experience of data processing procurement activities, e.g. interfacing with industrial contractors;
- experience in interfacing with scientific organisations and user communities.
- The position requires excellent interpersonal, communication and reporting skills, combined with the ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks
Please send you CV in English to:
Simon Davidson via firstname.lastname@example.org
To register with HAMTEC Consulting and to view current opportunities go to our website: