Postdoctoral researcher in the field of Earth System Model Evaluation
The Institute of Atmospheric Physics of the German Aerospace Center (DLR), located in Oberpfaffenhofen near Munich, Germany, invites applications for a
postdoctoral researcher on Earth System Model Evaluation.
Future climate projections with Earth System Models (ESMs) continue to have a considerable level of uncertainty arising from internal variability, uncertainties in the
models and from scenario uncertainty. A prerequisite to understanding and improving the representation of physical and biogeochemical processes and feedbacks in ESMs is the systematic evaluation of models through comparisons with observations.
The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with scientists at DLR Oberpfaffenhofen as part of a newly established project on the synthesis of models and
observations in climate science. In addition, the candidate will work with national and international partners through the FP7 project Earth system Model Bias Reduction and assessing Abrupt Climate changE (EMBRACE), starting autumn 2011, and through contributions
to ongoing model intercomparison projects. This post offers the possibility to co-advise students (e.g., master thesis or Phd). Specific tasks include:
- Developing observationally-based diagnostics and performance metrics for ESM evaluation,
- Performing simulations with the global model EMAC,
- Quantitative evaluation of the EMAC model,
- Assessment of climate trends, variability and extremes in models and observations,
- Scientific contributions to international model intercomparison projects (e.g., CMIP, CCMVal).
Qualifications and Requirements
A PhD in physics, meteorology, or in a similar field is required. The successful candidate must demonstrate:
- A profound knowledge in atmospheric physics and global climate modelling,
- Experience in statistical analysis and visualization of model output and / or satellite data,
- Programming skills ideally in NCL (NCAR Command Language), Python, FORTRAN, Unix-based systems and scripts,
- Good English language skills,
- Excellence in communication and team work.
The position is offered for three years starting as soon as possible. The salary is up to 14 TVöD according to the Germany civil service, depending on qualification.
The DLR is an equal opportunity employer and explicitly encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference. We provide excellent facilities with opportunities to work with world-renowned experts
in the field of Earth system modelling and observations.
Please submit your electronic application (in English or German) comprising a covering letter explaining your interest in this position, a curriculum vitae, documentation
of academic degrees and certificates, and address of an academic referee to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin mid April 2011 and will continue until the position
For further information, please contact:
Priv-Doz. Dr. habil. Veronika Eyring
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
Institut für Physik der Atmosphäre, Oberpfaffenhofen, 82234 Wessling, Germany